X-ray and anesthesia

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

X-ray and anesthesia

Post by Taz »

When a Chow get x-rayed you have to have full anesthesia, but
I've also heard about Chows not doing so well with anesthesia.

So can anybody tell me a little about Chows and full anesthesia?
I've heard that it's dangerous when the Chow wakes up.?
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Well, Willow's been x-rayed before and has had an ultrasound and was never anesthetized.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Type in Chows and anesthesia in your search engine you will get a few websites that will explain it also somewhere on this site they talk about Chows and anesthesia, I think its in the Chow Chow dog breed section.

There are a few reasons why a Chow and anesthesia don't mix but one of them is the amount of anesthesia they use is based on the Chows weight like they do with other breeds but the problem is a Chows heart is smaller and can't take the dosage, this is what I have been told. Then you have the Vets that are afraid of Chows or worried it my wake up and bite them so they overdose.

Pekoe's Vet and a few others in here recommend Isoflorum (sp) Ask your Vet about it, If your Vet insist on the injection, move on to another. Don't think all Vets know what they are doing check them out thoroughly and only use one you and your Chow are comfortable with.

Karen has done alot of research on this topic larely she may have some advice.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Isoflurane gas is the most recommended anesthesia. The advantage is that your Chow will only be out during the period of being given the gas. However, there is a pre-surgery injection that is normally given. Quite honestly I can't remember what is recommended but it's not the bigger concern - it's the anesthesia used during the surgery period. If the vet says they use an injection for anesthesia - I'd find another vet. Supposedly, this shouldn't be too much of a concern nowadays but I wouldn't risk it...especially since the vet might get the dosage wrong (basing it on weight versus the bodily structure/make up of your Chow). It's the heart thing - Chow owners need to be careful of anesthesia as well as activities.
On the other hand, Michael (Bubba) advised that most vets are up to date on how much dosage is needed for Chows for injected type of anesthesia. I guess we need to drill the vet on their knowledge of Chows and their particular needs for this type of stuff.
Early on I took my Chow mix to a vet for a regular exam. He told me she was pretty much at her full weight of 26 lbs. Obviously, he didn't know much about Chows as she is about twice that weight....so you need to get to a good comfort feeling that your vet knows how to treat a chow.
Well, despite my rambling....Isoflurane gas is what should be used. I'm not sure of the pre-surgery/isoflurane gas anesthesia but during surgery - Isoflurane gas.
Karen
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Why do they have to use anethesia to do an X-ray? I have never heard of that before. :? When my Simba got sick and had to have X-rays they just put a muzzle on him, he didn't like it but the vet never suggested anethisia. It seems silly to use it for x-rays that only take a couple of minutes to do. Just a thought, I could be wrong.

Little purple puppy kisses,
Carol and Coco
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

simbasmom wrote:Why do they have to use anethesia to do an X-ray? I have never heard of that before. :? When my Simba got sick and had to have X-rays they just put a muzzle on him, he didn't like it but the vet never suggested anethisia. It seems silly to use it for x-rays that only take a couple of minutes to do. Just a thought, I could be wrong.

Little purple puppy kisses,
Carol and Coco
The dog has to lay completely still, or the result will come out wrong.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I don't know about full anesthesia for an x-ray. Are we talking about general anesthesia, being completely under? I'd think that if they needed to keep the dog still for x-rays they'd use a sedative or something not full anesthesia. Are they afraid of the dog or something? I don't get this.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

willowchow wrote:I don't know about full anesthesia for an x-ray. Are we talking about general anesthesia, being completely under? I'd think that if they needed to keep the dog still for x-rays they'd use a sedative or something not full anesthesia. Are they afraid of the dog or something? I don't get this.
Not sure myself.
Talked to somebody in England and they said the dog had to have full anesthesia to x-ray. here in Norway i'm not so sure.
But most vet's are afraid of Chows.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Thanks for the timely subject, I have to have Lily in for spaying, but I'm not entirely sure the vet I used for shots and worming is the one I should go with. I now have some criteria to use in making this decision. I sometimes feel I'm paying for my vet's new office/surgery. Lily has also seen 2 different vets in this office. The vet I used for my cats seems more caring, not sure about his chow experience though.