ONE OF OUR OWN NEEDS OUR IMEDIATE HELP !!!!!!!!

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thtose are great ideas. That is very stange that AC can't get her unless there was a complaint. When Special went missing when we were out of town, they came right away to help. Anyhow, maybe the construction guys and any other strangers that might be trying to help can be asked to have treats with them? Maybe she'll come if she smells something extra good, she's bound to be hungry and maybe if it's something good enough she'll get close to someone?
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

She just hasnt been seen there lately at all. The construction guys had said she wouldn't go near them, she'd run when they come in. The neighbors haven't seen her lately, no one has seen her lately. I really think she went down the tracks. Its hard telling what part of town she is at now.
Press release might help. I put flyers up at the pet stores thinking if someone took her in they might go to buy some dog food, collar and stuff.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

chowfrnd88, Bonnie had first just told them it was her dog and needed help. She should have been up front with them at the start and maybe they would have been more willing to help her. So to them it was simply someone's pet got loose and for that they wont go out to catch someone's pet unless there is a complaint.
Bonnie has since told them the whole story and they took down all the information and said they will let her know if any calls come in or if they pick up a dog fitting the description. I think she was afraid they would take Molly and not give her back if she didnt tell them it was her dog.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Ohhhh, poor Molly! I'm sorry to hear she's lost like this .. I hope she is doing okay and is finding this to be an adventure and not something terrifying.

I don't know what to suggest other than maybe flyers with photos and "REWARD" in big font could be put up at all major grocery stores in all areas where you think she may travel to. Grocery stores get a huge amount of traffic from a large variety of people. Many stores (at least in my area) have bulletin boards that are close to the entrance/exit doors.

Contacting local rescues even if they're not chow rescues might be good.

Is there a local radio show that lists lost and found pets? Or even a "tradio" type show where you can call up and sell things? You may be able to list a lost dog/reward type of thing on that.

I would donate toward a reward too.

Fingers crossed that Molly will be safely found soon.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Boogie and Linda wrote:
Jeff&Vicki wrote:Need to think of all the people that travel the city,
newspaper delivery: early morning
pizza delivery: afternoon & night
city workers: all day - trash pickup, street dept., city services
meter readers: gas company, water dept., electric dept.
Need eyes on the street looking for $$$ ,we can chip in for reward.

A friend had his Chow missing for 2 weeks, we got a call that she walked in the back door of a pizza shop and started growling at everyone. When we got there and called for her she was ready to go home.
Don't forget the postal carriers, and delivery drivers (UPS, FED EX, etc.)
And TAXI drivers...those guys are everywhere!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

This is terrible! I hope something can be done to find Molly. It must be very frightening for her.

If she may have followed train tracks, have those directions been checked? I wish there was something I could do to help. I'll pray she is found soon.
~ Sally
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Jeff, somehow I totally forgot about Springfield for craigslist. I think Springfield is closer to Decatur than the others even. You might want to add Molly to that one.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Hope she'll be found safe & sound soon. [-o| [-o| [-o| & bump
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

OMG!! I just read this, how awful. Poor Molly. :cry: I feel so helpless, I don't have any advice to offer on top of what everyone else has already said. I will chip in for the reward as well.

Please God let her be found safe and sound. [-o|
chris

Post by chris »

Becky I will throw in some reward $$ too. HEY... contact the rail road to make the conductors of that rail way aware of her. Bring them her picture to put on the trains in case they see her. !!!!!

Did anyone put her on Springfields Craigs list?
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I found a website http://www.lostandpound.com/ where you can list missing animals. Maybe someone can post here. They also have tips listed on how to find a missing dog (most of which have already been covered here but it doesn't hurt to read through them.) I found this website listed on Chicago's Craigslist.

Also, I don't think it would hurt to post her information on all of the Craigslist's that come up for Illinois. People drive all over and if someone passing through was able to pick her up then they could have taken her home to another city nearby. I even see a posting on the Chicago lost and found for a Shar-pei found in California but somehow they traced his microchip to Illinois. If we can find out if she has a microchip and where it is registered, it would be good to post there too.

I really want her to be found safe and sound. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I am originally from Decatur. I would agree about the Springfield Craigslist. People commute from Decatur to Springfield. Local TV stations for Decatur come out of Decatur (WAND), Springfield, and Champaign. Local news is always doing special interest pieces. See if you can get them to run something about Molly. Is WSOY still the local AM radio station? I'd try them too.

I hope if she was following the train tracks that she was going away from the industrial area. You may want to contact security at Tate&Lyle and ADM with a flyer about her just in case.

You might also want try putting up flyers at Millikin University. Where there are young people there is always remains of fast food around.

Have you also touched base with Forsyth, Warrensburg, and Harristown? I sure hope she doesn't get that far. Isn't there are no kill shelter out by Forsyth? Have you checked with them?
chris

Post by chris »

HEY... I just remembered... There is a chow rescue in Chicago.. the woman posts on here every now and then... anyone remember who that is? Maybe they can help... let me go see if I can find her.

brb
chris

Post by chris »

HERE.. told ya told ya... :-) Becky... contact them.. you can tell them more about Molly's situation than I do.

http://chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3029
Last edited by chris on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

What a NIGHTMARE!!! I wish I still lived in Central illinois!!! I would be out there helping every minute I could.

I am so sorry about everything and please include me in the list of people that will chip in for a reward.

Oh poor Molly.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Ok added to Springfield.

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/pet/315471341.html

I expected to have a response to the add's when I woke up this morning but nothing yet.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Babs64 wrote:I am originally from Decatur. I would agree about the Springfield Craigslist. People commute from Decatur to Springfield. Local TV stations for Decatur come out of Decatur (WAND), Springfield, and Champaign. Local news is always doing special interest pieces. See if you can get them to run something about Molly. Is WSOY still the local AM radio station? I'd try them too.

I hope if she was following the train tracks that she was going away from the industrial area. You may want to contact security at Tate&Lyle and ADM with a flyer about her just in case.

You might also want try putting up flyers at Millikin University. Where there are young people there is always remains of fast food around.

Have you also touched base with Forsyth, Warrensburg, and Harristown? I sure hope she doesn't get that far. Isn't there are no kill shelter out by Forsyth? Have you checked with them?
I think the best thing we can do is make this a media event!
Are Springfield and Decatur under the same television market? If we can get the email of a local TV station, we could all ban together and email them...hopefully, that would help to make it a newsworthy topic.
The TV station can be the hero!!!
If done properly this could be a nice warm and fuzzy story for the media. The TV station will want a local contact to interview. Who might that be?
Babs, I'm hoping to get TV info from you. Can you give us some direction?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

How sad this is, my biggest NIGHTMARE ever! I won't even hand Sid's leash to anyone JUST IN CASE! POOR MOLLY, how scared and alone she must feel!

Count me in on the reward, just let me know!

"Lou, Remember years ago that Chow at Fremont park, Chows are tough to catch if they don't want to be caught. Probably the only breed that can out think a human."
Jeff - I totally agree! Sid does that to my Mom ALL the time! He'll hide from her and make HER look for HIM, fortunately, it's only when he's in the house.

This is SO hard for those of us who live so far away!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I've just completed a search on Pet Harbor's adoptable dogs, then again on Lost and Found.
This search covers about 50 rescues.
I found only one that might fit. I doubt it is her, but it is worth looking into.
There is no photo, description only:

Where: Macon County Animal Control in Springfield, IL
Phone: 217-425-4508 (I'm trying to get them now)

Who: # A013045 "yellow" female, Chow 8 yrs old.
When: Listed on April 16, 07
Last edited by bama on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Ohhhh Bama, I think that is a great idea about getting the local TV stations involved!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I just spoke with Macon County Animal Control...
They are going to take a photo and send it to me.

I asked if I could email them a photo of Molly and asked her to post it. She said they do not have email????
Who doesn't have email, huh?
Anyway, she (Tisha) said they could not put up a poster.

I'm waiting on the photo and I will post it if there is a possiblity that it is Molly.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

This is so sad. I've been keeping track hoping that someone would find her and she'd be back where she is loved.

I think the local TV station idea is good, you can cover the largest audience in the fastest way. You could start by phoning them and then begin by saying, "please help us find Molly" then give them her entire story, including the recent loss of her big brother. you have to really tug on the heart strings of the TV folks. Tell them that there are a lot of people from all over the world worried about her, (yes reference this site) You need to really let them know that Molly is special in someway, (all chows are) and that the story is special.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Victory wrote:This is so sad. I've been keeping track hoping that someone would find her and she'd be back where she is loved.

I think the local TV station idea is good, you can cover the largest audience in the fastest way. You could start by phoning them and then begin by saying, "please help us find Molly" then give them her entire story, including the recent loss of her big brother. you have to really tug on the heart strings of the TV folks. Tell them that there are a lot of people from all over the world worried about her, (yes reference this site) You need to really let them know that Molly is special in someway, (all chows are) and that the story is special.
Victory,
This is where I'm going with this, if I can find a local person to interview. I've created a media event myself (another story) they won't do a thing without that local person to interview.

If there is someone local, that can tell us where the nearest food dumpsters are to where she was last seen, may help in finding her. I would take flyers to all the fast food places and other food sources where the smell of food is in the air and food is easily found on or near the dumpster. REWARD sounds good to alot of workers.

I'm looking for that local person....
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Babs, do you know anyone who works at ADM or Tate&Lyle? I got nowhere. Couldn't even leave a number with them in case they seen her.
She might not have made it that far anyway if a train came and she got off the tracks. She might have ended up in a totally different area of town.
Bama, I sent you Bonnie's information. She knows the area. I know very little about Decatur.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Okay. If Bama is going to handle the media end of the search, I won't send out a press release. It'll be too confusing for them. Just keep us Westerners posted if it gets tagged.