Bear won't get up

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bear won't get up

Post by MybabyBear »

Hi all-
Bear is having problems, once again. This time, it's worse. He now has a hard time getting up. When he wants to get up, he can, but beyond that, he can't. It makes me cry. :cry: What should I do?

Post by Guest »

How old is Bear and what is wrong with him? Has he seen a vet?
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Bear will be 9 years old (I think) on Nov. 15. He might have had straph infection in June and might have been suffering from Lymes Disease since July. No, he hasn't seen a vet...my parents still refuse to take him in. Stephanie, Bear, and Homer

Post by Guest »

That is too bad. I hope that he can get better but without seeing a vet..... you won't know what is wrong and so you really can't do a whole lot to make it better. Poor Bear. I hope that he feels better soon.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I remember your post from back in July you thought Bear might have Cancer but Lou said it was probably a straph infection, so five months later and your parents still won't take him to a Vet? Hope you never get sick. You better call a relative, Neighbor, friend or maybe even call a few Vets and tell them the problems you are having you might find one that will help.
The last people I would ever recommend would be the animal shelter but they might help. Bear is obviously in pain and suffering so what ever it takes your going to have to do to get him some help.

Post by Guest »

I think that is a great idea. Call the vet and explain what is happening and that your parents won't take him in. Or maybe call a friend who can help. Maybe they can talk to your parents? Maybe your vet can? Maybe you can see if the vet will come to your house?
Do your parents give a reason as to why they won't take him?
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I remember that you mentioned you were in 4-H. Perhaps someone there can help you with Bear. There must be someone in your club (or knows someone) that has vet or vet tech skills in helping you get help for Bear.
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

I have been trying since ever to get him in...even after I told my parents that I called a vet and they said that his back leg problems could be Lymes. I got my mom to say yes, but she never got around to it. My dad's reason is,"Why pay a lot of money to try to help a dog live 2 months longer," exact words from his mouth yesterday morning. Jeff, I do get sick/medical problems. My dad knows pretty much nothing about my medical history....whenever I need to go to the doctor, my mom calls and makes the appointment. But, the vet that we go to has a weird working schedule...works at one vet certain days, works in another town for the other.
I like the neighbor idea, but my closest neighbor doesn't like Bear plus isn't home all that often, and the next closest wouldn't do it. As for 4-H, I can try. I don't have our new program yet though, I won't get that until November. Well, I got to go.....Stephanie, Bear, and Homer

Post by Guest »

I would try your mom again and as for your dad, you can tell him that if he gets him in sooner, he may have a VERY good chance at quite a few more YEARS with you, not just a couple months. Tell him maybe you can just get it checked out, and if it is bad, well then you can decide what to do. But at least you would know.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Here are some Chow rescues in your area, try calling or getting in touch with them, tell them what is happening, they should be able to help you or give you some advice.

The last website has a bounch of Chow rescue numbers try calling them for help with bear.

http://www.chowwelfare.com/wccr/

http://www.chowwelfare.com/wcci/
608-756-2008

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/otherdog.htm
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Thanks Jeff, I'll have to try that. As for talking to my parents, I tried but no cigar. They don't see what it would help. Bear's only gotten worse. He needs help getting up, assurence when he goes up 4 steps, water and food brought to him, and now he's just started yelping out. We're not sure if it's in pain or a bad dream, but he's never done it before. Plus, he has a lump growing under his skin by his ribs. It gets bigger every day. I'm not ready for him to go yet....this is going to be a sad 15th birthday for me this Sunday. Stephanie, Bear, and Homer
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Stephanie,
Bear's situation is quite serious as you already know. Unfortunately, I do not think that your parents feel that there is anything that they want to do about Bear's illness. I hope that you can find some help from any of the links that Jeff provided. Bear needs your constant care and love now. I know that you can do that for him.
I wish you a Happy Birthday with Bear this Sunday. Perhaps you can ask your parents for a birthday gift of getting Bear to the hospital.

Take care,
Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just E-mailed the Wisconsin Chow rescue and referred them to your post on this site, Hopefully they will be contacting you by e-mail'

Even though I E-mailed them for you you should either call or e-mail them and the other Chow rescue site's I posted until you can get Bear some help.

If anyone should contact you make sure you know who it is before you start giving them any personnal information.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Stephanie-

I have been thinking about you all weekend.
I was wondering how everything was going. Were you able to find any help for Bear? How are both of you doing?

Hugs,

Mandy & Chewie
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

I would suggest you inform your parents that refusing to provide veterinary care when an animal is sick is called ANIMAL CRUELTY and depending on where you live, your parents could do JAIL time and/or be fined much more than a trip to the Vet would cost. Plus they will have a criminal record.

This is SERIOUS. Poor Bear needs help and has needed help for quite some time now. :(
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I was going to say the same thing awhile back but as neglectful as the parents are I didn't want them to know about the animal cruelty, they might freak and do something to the Chow
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Stephanie,

You may not like what I'm about to write. Many on this site may not like it as well, but I think it has to be said.

You must be realistic and prepare for Bear to go to the Happy Hunting Ground. Right now you are not ready (as you say). I'm not ready for my Zhu to go as well. However, I have the power to control his way of life and the control to choose how he's to live the rest of his life with me. You do not have that with Bear. But these are lessons and choices you are learning for when you are a full-on adult and can reflect on the experiences you went through during Bear's incapacities.

That being said, Stephanie, in my opinion, the best thing you could do for yourself and Bear right now is love and hug him. Remind him constantly of all the wonderful times you've had with each other and then tell him that if it too hard for him to be here with you, to be living in the state of difficulty, then it's okay for him to cross-over. Tell him that you will be fine and that you know he will look over you from the Happy Hunting Ground.

Stephanie, you can not keep fighting your parents on how they want to handle Bear's situation. Your own illnesses will come out by stressing yourself over it. You have tried for months for them to listen to you. Since Bear is 15, in their own heart Bear should just live out his life naturally. That to them is logical. To us here on the site and hearing/reading about it believe it to be cruel. But to your parents, and the lifestyle you may have, it may also be practical.

Being 14 sucks! I remember when I was 14, I came home to find out that our German Shepard puppy, Bogart, was taken to the Humane Society and surrendered. What was his crime? He was 5 months old and very playful. He got a hold of my father's machette knife (that's a big knife that can clear brush and weeds in one swipe). It was in his mouth and was swinging it around. My parent were threatened that Bogart would eventually harm us. It only happened once. It happened that day. He was out of our house before I got home from school. Bogart and I were going through obedience classes at that time. But it was my parent's logical and practicle choice. It certainly wouldn't have been my choice to do. But I was 14 and it was not my household. As an adult, I learned alot from my parent's actions. As an adult, I've done everything possible to make sure Zhuyo was not taken forgranted and do everything for him that is logical and practicle.

Relating my story to your parent's reaction to Bear's situation, again, they may feel that Bear is old, and that taking him to the vet will not extend his life, but shorten it. Perhaps the vet will tell them that Bear should be put to sleep right then and there. Perhaps your parent's want Bear to pass somewhere Bear is comfortable at. Bottomline is that you don't have the control. You have not been able to ask assistance from friends, relatives or neighbors. So again, the best thing you can do for yourself and for Bear is to hold him tight and remind him every moment that you will miss him but when it's time, it's okay because you will always love him.

It's what I whisper in Zhuyo's ear each day. Last year his vet suggested I put him to sleep. Selfishly, a year and 4 months later, he's still goofing around with Pooh Bear and myself because I wasn't ready to say good-bye. Next week he turns 14. I'm not sure if he'll make 15, but I'm prepared now.

Regarding not being able to get up, he's probably experiencing arthritis. If you can give him a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, it might help. Zhuyo is on a treat made from natural g/c called Sea Jerky. It's amazing stuff.

Peace,
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Ok, Lou, I agree with you. As I read your response, I began to cry. I still am...I keep thinking about the sweet little puppy we brought home in 1997 and it makes me cry.
What really hurt was when I took him outside not that long ago. I had to raise him up and carry him. I felt really bad when I set him down outside because he fell down. He looks so disfigured.....he has a hump like the Hunchback of Notre Dame on his right side that's getting bigger each day. I just wish it was me instead of him. At least that way it would be treated.
That being said, it brings up my next topic. I don't know why I didn't do anything about it until now, must be this experience or my being a year older or something. Jeff, I thank you for your help. As for my parents freaking out, they wouldn't because he's been living with mange for at least 5 years. As for you, WorknChowz, I am well aware of animal cruelty. I thank you for your tip, but I'll pass. Animal cruelty is watching the animals shown on Animal Cops on Animal Planet. You want to get my parents for animal cruelty, then you might as well get me. You see, a couple of years ago, I was sitting down on a chair and didn't see Bear's paw where I was going to put the chair leg. Luckily, I didn't sit all the way down. No broken bones or anything, thank goodness. Also, after our mutt Kali died, Bear was ignored, but I think he wanted it that way. So I guess what I was trying to say in a nice way was......BACK OFF! I KNOW YOU ARE TRYING TO HELP, BUT YOU AREN'T. YOU COME OVER HERE AND BE IN MY SHOES! I KNOW HE NEEDS HELP, BUT WE'RE DOING THE BEST WE CAN.
Sorry about that people. No wonder my mom gets mad at me and my times to use cap locks. Anyway, Mandy, I haven't been able to find help, but his time is running out. All I can do is be there for him. Even Homer understands what is happening and is being nice to him. As for me, I try not to worry too much...otherwise I'll just break down in school. Well, I'm going to post this...Bear is crying out. Later all who care.....Stephanie, Bear, and Homer
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have a feeling no one that responded to Bears problems had any idea he was 15, had I known how old Bear was I would have gone at this a different way I thought we were talking about a 5 or 6 year old Chow.

Stephanie if you and your parents raised Bear to the long life of 15 you guys must have done something right. So do as Lou suggest and make him as comfortable as you can and stick with him so he knows your there.

I'm confused now I just looked back at the post and Stephanie says he will be 9 in Nov. How old is Bear?
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

He's going to be 9 on November 15th, but that's human years.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Stephanie,
I think you are a very brave girl, and as Lou says, 'being 14 sucks'!
We had a priest here in Crewe who used to say "Life's a Bitch". :)
However, it would appear that your parents are not going to get help for Bear. It also appears that Bear is a very poorly Bear!
So take Lou's advice and just love him. Animals have a wonderful way of coping and I am sure that with your cuddles and your love, Bear will cope and one of these days he will be free of pain.
So until then, just hang in there and love him.
He will know! :)

Purple kisses and snugs to you and Bear and Homer from Milly and Mabel.

p.s. Milly and Mabel will arrange with their Daddy to fly the flag for him on 15th November for his birthday. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Stephanie

I am so sad to hear that you can't get any help for Bear. But I am confident that you love him with all your heart and that you will give him all the love he needs to make his trip to the Rainbow Bridge.

This may be very painful to consider but do you feel that he is in so much pain now that it is miserable for him? If so, your parents my consent to taking him to the vet to relieve him of his pain. As difficult as it may be, putting a beautiful beloved pet to sleep is sometimes the most loving. selfless thing you can do. Please consider it if you feel Bear has lost all of his quality of life.

We are all here for you Stephanie. Please write us with any and all concerns about Bear and about how you are feeling. You will be in my thoughts.

Mandy & Chewie
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Stephanie,
Please know that my previous post was out of desperation for your situation. I thought that perhaps if your parents knew how serious a matter this could be, they might just break down and do something to help Bear. I can hardly stand the thought of you watching your beloved baby suffer and struggle. I just wanted to help. Forgive me?
No, your accident with Bear's foot was NOT cruel, it was an accident. Something you should not blame yourself for.
I agree that although it is the hardest thing you may have to do in your young life, if Bear is indeed in as much pain and anguish as you describe, the most loving thing you can do for him is to take him to the Vet or Humane Society and have them help him cross over quickly and peacefully.
I have had to experience this several times and I truly feel that it is our obligation to repay all the love and joy they have given us so freely for so many years. A Chow, especially, should be given the gift of a dignified, peaceful death.
Hugs to you sweetie. I know how hard this will be. I lost my first at 13. :(
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

It's Great How You All Cared

Post by MybabyBear »

It's great how you all cared about Bear, me, my family, and Homer, especially Bear and me.
Bear passed away in his sleep last night, after I went to bed. My last words were,"Bear, I love you so much. I'll see you in the morning. Never forget, I love you." I just wish I could've been there with him as he went to the Happy Hunting Ground. :cry:
WorkinChowz, I forgive you. I just kind of spazed out. I'm sorry.
As for everyone else, I thank you all. I'm not sure how much longer I will have this account, seeing as I now have a Chow in spirit, and that there will be no more Chows.
I've got to go now......Stephanie and Homer (and my sisters)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Stephanie,

You have got to be the bravest girl I have ever known. :)

I won't say I am sorry Bear has gone to The Happy Hunting Ground because he is now out of pain - But I will say I am so, so sorry you are sad. :(

But remember, always, your last words to him 'cos you can sure bet your bottom dollar he will. You loved him so much - we can all tell that and for him to die peacefully in his sleep indicates that he knew that too. :)

Now then, the Happy Hunting Ground is a wonderful place (just believe it) and he will no longer be in pain and the sun will shine and it will always be springtime.

Don't think that there will never be another Chow Chow. Perhaps when you are all grown and have a home of your own, you might decide to choose another Chow to love in the inimitable way you have loved Bear.

Please come back and tell us how you and Homer are doing, sometimes. :)

So Stephanie, my dear, I salute you - you have been a very, very brave young lady and I am proud to know you.

Remember the old Hebrew proverb:

"Say not in grief he is no more,
but in thankfulness is was."

Very gentle purple kisses to you from Milly and Mabel and love across the ocean from Fred and Me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

p.s. We will still fly the flag on Bear's birthday this year for Bear and for you.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)