Weight Pulling? Competitive Sport?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Weight Pulling? Competitive Sport?

Post by daryl168yang »

Ok, it may seem too imaginative. But I was browsing through other forums and someone mentioned about weight-pulling. Don't chows do this too? Well, maybe richie can try this. How do I go about this? Just hook his harness to a stack of books and get him to pull? LOL. Seems so interesting.
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't get upset with him and think there is something wrong with him when he sits down and refuses to pull the books. My Chow would look at you and think yeah right, pull your own books and walk off. He may tho, I've seen Chows pulling baby carts. If you show him there is a need to move the books and its not just for your entertainment he may move them for you.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

He did try to pull a phone book, but the harness seemed funny, it fell to one side when he pulled. So, I needa go invest in a better "pulling" harness, before I try. If not, richie's gonna walk lop-sided. :lol: :D
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

It might get him to stop pulling you if he's pulling the books instead...LOL....that was a joke, don't kill me here. LOL.

I've seen on the dog whisperer that he puts on harnesses and doggies backpacks on certain breeds that need a "job" to do. It helps them get tired out and expend some pent up energy too. I wouldn't consider Chows in the needs a job to do to feel useful, their job is to protect and be loyal to you. But who knows, if executed properly it might be a good thing for you and Richie. You'll have to let us know!
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

LOL, that was also what I was thinking. I thought if he had to pull so much things, he would hate pulling so much, he would stop pulling me. And with his powerful strength, maybe he can take part in competitions and win some money for me. Haha, maybe... But, it would be a long long way till he can pull an encyclopedia. Maybe, I can take a video of him pulling and show you guys.
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Weight-Pulling is the big sport for American Pit Bull Terriers. It's fascinating and fun to watch!

In the UKC, you can get an ILP to pull or pull as a registered Chow Chow, I think. International Weight Pull Association (IWPA) is for all breeds and has always been more nordic breed oriented. If you want more info, go to my website and see the weight pull info - scroll down a bit, it is on the right hand side. They make special harnesses for weight pulling. I haven't been to a UKC or IWPA pull, so I am not sure what kind of harnesses they use - their setup is a bit different than what we use in ADBA (Pit Bulldogs only). In ADBA, they pull a wheeled cart on rails and therefore pull 3,000 lbs. and more. In other organizations, they pull sleds, pull on snow and so forth, so there is friction and the weights are not as high.

http://www.lucydog.com/resource.html

The dogs who pull well REALLY want to pull. They LOVE it. As soon as they get set up on the track, the owner gives them the OK, and they are like an exploding cannon. I can't see Jasper doing that, but it seems like a lot of peoples' Chows on this list are a lot more high-energy than he is!
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I find, that when it comes to things like pulling, or obstacle, or even rescue and drug/bomb detection, the dogs involved are usually not good household pets. The thing that makes them exceptional at their specific task, would drive the average dog owner to a behaviorist. Too high energy, too focused to be bothered, these are traits that work to make them good at a certain job. Like Lucy said about the PIt Bull who was chomping at the bit to pull. It is the same in the human world, the best at a given task are almost pathologically obsessed.
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

Well, richie looks quite hyperactive for a chow. Where the breed guide say they are "sedetary(sp?) and laid-back". I really can't trust these books. At least, now my mom can bring him out for a pee, when my father is overseas. So, he has improved greatly since he last was "beaten" up. LOL. Hope he can get a job. Maybe a therapy dog? Haha. Can chows be that too? Maybe it is not so strenous.
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"