Martha Stewart's Chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Martha Stewart's Chows

Post by kingalls »

Found a link on Martha's Chow Chows...

http://amberhero.tripod.com/facts.htm#M ... _her_chows!
Chows are so beautiful - just wanna go home and hug my two!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chris

Post by chris »

I didn't realize that she had 4 of them. :-)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oooh, awesome. I'm always trying to see if I can see them on her show, but I don't get to watch too often.
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

When I was in the States in October one of her chows, Paw Paw I think it was called, was on her show. There was a female dog trainer there and she was trying to teach them a few things. Paw Paw just laid there :lol:
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

I used to watch her show and she did an episode on her company picnic, wich she had at her ranch, her entire company was there and all of her dogs, paw-paw (i think) was so cute by the end of the day he was so tired from following her around that he just crashed next to people sitting on the stairs :lol:
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

Speaking of famous chows ( maybe some of you near LA can help) We went to malibu one time and we were talking with our driver on our way to the hotel, and he said that they have chows at the playboy mansion! That gaurd the " pirimitor" :lol:
grim1900
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by grim1900 »

How come Martha's not a member here ? And who else famous or semi famous owns chow's ?
----Chows Live Here----
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I would be curious to know who actually grooms them- I'm sure Martha has the know-how, but I doubt she has the time needed to keep 4 chows looking well groomed. And someone obviously took care of them during her prison hiatus.

As far as the playboy mansion goes, I occasionally watched the show that has Hef's 'girlfriends' on it. All I saw animal wise was a persian, a couple foo-foo shi-shi dogs, and a peacocok.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

A long time ago (before we had a Chow) I saw a show on Martha and her home. She not only has Chows but she also has a bunch of himilayan cats (for those not into cats, they are like persian cats but they have siamese markings). :lol:

When they were talking about them they had all of the cats sitting on the couch with all of the chows lined up on the floor in front of them. It was really cute and I couldn't believe how well behaved they all were. I will have to see if I can find a still picture of it on teh web somewhere.

I think I remember them saying there was a team of people keeping them groomed and I am sure there has to be a team to vaccuum up all of the fur that must be in her house too. :D
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

Martha Stewart's chows would be the only reason for me to ever watch her show.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL, it would be interetsing if she was a member here!

Auddymay, I was telling my brother about this link and her chows and he asked who took care of tehm while she was away? Then he added, "she probably got to take them with her." :D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

They would be good prison companions, as long as they were allowed to zoom in the exercise yard!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

:lol: :lol: Can you imagine! Morale would go waaaay up watching 4 chow chows zooming!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Yep, the inmates would clammer to groom them, instead of knitting her a poncho of yarn, they could've used natural chow wool!
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Ha ha. Prison Chow ponchos!

I watch her show pretty much every day (before y'all call me a couch potato - I have it on my TV in my shop, and I am in the craft industry so it's work related!). I love her new show. It's witty and faster paced, and the crafts are more contemporary and fun.

I think Martha is down to only Paw Paw, but his progeny are highly ranked show dogs. I am not sure if she is co-owner with them. She seems to be more into French Bulldogs now and has a black one and a white one. They get more TV time because sometimes she does costume crafts and things on the show, and they are of course easier to dress up, and put up on the table. She had her black Frenchie dressed up like a bat for Halloween and it was precious!

From time to time, she has PawPaw on the show. He just hangs out and guests have to step over him, just like we do at home! At the very end of each show they show a pic of Martha, PawPaw and the two Frenchies. Paw Paw looks like he's sniffing one of the Frenchies and is wondering what stinks.

Thanks for sharing that website, because I had always wanted to see more pictures of them. They are soooo much more hairy than Jasper.
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Here's a link to an article on Martha's website about Westminster. It mentions that Paw Paw's grand daughter was being shown there.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml ... =ns2006_m2
akheila
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by akheila »

should she be part of this site or should her dog's keepers? Lets face it like her or not....she is far too busy to be very involved with her chows. They likely feel more attached to the handlers and groomers! Maybe its the animal guy from her other show she had!
Debs chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Debs chow »

My guess is there nothing more then a fashion statement like jewlery or a car for her i hope i'm wrong though. how much do you really think she is involved with her chows?

Al&Deb
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Maybe Martha's mom takes care of the chow(s)? She seems like a nice enough lady.
Karin
ImageMikki&Max
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I believe Martha is absolutely involved with her chows - the ones who live/lived with her. She is only down to PawPaw. Her Zuzu (the black one) passed suddenly and shortly after she came back home from doing her prison time. PawPaw and her were extremely depressed and that is why she started up with the french bulldogs.

Besides, we are all extremely busy in our own ways of life. It is so wrong to assume that one who is busy is not capable of one on one caretaking and love of an animal. I'm sure she has a ranch hand to help out, but her chows sure seem to be treated just like our chows.

I can understand why she would start getting into dogs versus chows now. The pain of losing one is horrible and since as chow owners, we know they are above par in the domestic canine line and when one of our darlings pass, our heart is just overwelmed with grief. So, she got her first frenchie to keep PawPaw company and snap PawPaw out of his grief. My family has not adopted any new chows into our lives. We all seem to hold this deep pain thinking about our chows that have crossed over. Once it is PB's time to join our family of chows in the Happy Hunting Ground, PB may be my family's last chow and we will seek out a "jewelry" piece dog.

Years back in her first round of TV shows, she had a segment called "ask Martha". It was a more live interactive Q&A versus the taped segments. This one segment in particular, a chow owner asked Martha a question about chow cleaning or something like that. Martha bent down and carried PawPaw up to demonstrate. Her face just lit up holding PawPaw. Then she told the caller that she wanted to see her chow and the caller said no because her chow was big and then Martha said "oh come on, I carried PawPaw up, you can do it" and the caller ended up picking her chow up and they all laughed and smiled on camera.
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

I agree, I think Martha is very involved with her Chow Chows (now, just Paw Paw), as much as anyone with her crazy work schedule could be. She often mentions the dogs being with her on outings and vacations and has pictures of them on the show. I think she talks about her pets more than she talks about members of her family! She is a genuine animal lover - she seems to love all animals, and has had many different kinds on her show, not faking it or tolerating it like a lot of people on TV do.

I feel terrible for her that she missed out on the last few months of her beloved Zhu Zhu's life being in prison on that stupid trumped-up BS, but that is another argument for another day!

Anyway, Jasper has kind of a man-crush on Paw Paw.
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I believe they refer to frenchies as the 'clowns' of the canine world. They are cute. I was shocked to read Lou may never get another Chow. I understand it, to some degree, though. I think after being without that special love for awhile (after PB is gone) she would soon come to miss that special attachment no other dog can provide. I think it's the loyalty thing.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh, I did not say "never". Just that PB "may be" our last chow in the family. Never say never. It's not just a loyalty thing it's a weird, deep feeling when your chow passes. We've had a beagle, a german shepard, chihuahua's, a bull mastiff, llasa apso's, boxer, rottie and a dobie and truly, a chow passing has been different. Probably because they are so incredibly unique and our relationships with one another is not so much lap dog or fetch it. Weird yes, but that's what it is and with seven of them crossing over, it does take its toll on our hearts.