Chows: what kind of personalitie's do yours have?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chows: what kind of personalitie's do yours have?

Post by HemiCuda »

Okay, we have 2 but their personalities could not be any more different! Hemi, is so protective, and loving and smart, Zeus is happy in a rainman sort of way( wich i absolutly adore!) and doesn't stop playing, and is hyper so i wondered what everyone else's were like. :wink:
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

I just wondered, i guess b/c it's fun to hear all the things that make you dog special :p
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh is almost 4 yrs old & is still so much the puppy. Mr. N just turned 3 and he's more like the old lumbering gent except when he's got the zoomies. They both have their different personalities but it works for them (and us). They love each other but still go thu some "sibling" squabbles. :roll:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
kasmir
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kasmir »

Kasmir was an old soul. He was always mellow and very well mannered.

Kashoo on the other hand is full of piss and vinegar. He's my hyper boy who lives to play and make me laugh.
Gone but never forgotten

~Kasmir~ Feb 16, 1990 to March 14, 2001 Red Chow Chow

~Gunny~ 1987 to 2000 Black Chow Chow

Currently being loved by

~Kashoo~ DOB Oct 26th 2006 Creme Chow Chow
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

MingToy was named for the Ming dynasty and he was royalty in every way, quiet, well mannered always polite, a little sensitive to things.

LiChi was extremely confident, self aware, protective and playful.

Ming was a good boy, friendly, protective, loved girl dogs, couldn't stand male dogs, fearless, (he was named for Ming the Merciless)

Darkwind was a gentle soul, laid back, accepting of everyone and everything. Very special and sweet.

Firesong is a prima donna, she loves to play, and be the center of attention.

Dreamdancer is a puppy...I can see some protectiveness there, he's very friendly too, it's fun watching his personality come into being.

The only characteristic they have all shared has been their intelligence, they've all been smart.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Welcome to the boards! I see you are in Walker, MI. You are not very far from me, maybe 20 miles. I live at the Fruitport end of Muskegon. There is also a member just north of you about the same distance. She doesn't post her city, so I won't either. Also we have an Allegan member. West Michigan is truely represented, look out San Francisco! (SF is just loaded with Chow Lovers)

To answer your question, I have 2- Pip is 10, a Chow/Lab mix. To say she shows no traits of the Chow Chow is about accurate. She acts like a well behaved, intelligent Lab. We love her anyway. :roll:

We also have Lily. She is a purebred Chow of 18 months. To say she has Chowtitude is accurate! She does bark more than most Chows, but we live in a very busy area with lots to bark at. Pip taught her as a baby that sticks are fun, so she does like to fetch them and chew them. Very unchowlike. She will fetch other items, also not a Chow trait, but like a Chow, the fetch game needs to be interesting, or she just walks away in the middle! She never met a pile of snow she didn't love.
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

Well, well, richie is seemingly the total opposite of all chow breed guides.

They say chows are aloof, clean and cannot stand children.

Well, my parents were contemplating if he was a real chow, because he just refused to leave us when we were going for shopping. He would fight until he gets tired to prevent us from getting to the door!

Clean dog? No way, when he sees a puddle or mud infront of him, he simply walk over it. And out came a dirty ole lion.

Cannot Stand Children? Well... If he was, my sister would have been long gone. She(well, we) pulls his tail, then tempt him to chase it, which is "silly" of him(altho I thought he was trying to "act" cute infront of us). And she(well, we again), loves to blow his ears, steal his bones and make him bite our parents' clothes, ending up he got scolded. LOL.

So, from this baby, I have made a rule, "Never listen to a breed guide".
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

Fidel's personality is so unique. He acts like a human as much as he can. He will sit and literally have a conversation with you. His side may be "Raough Ra Raough," but he insists that he is talking to you. Also he will use his front feet like hand with no fingers. He will grab your arm, paw at you, and be very funny when you clean the house! He actually helps! He will pick up a piece of paper and walk over to the trash and put it down. lol I laughed at that! But Fidel has a very unique personality.
Debs chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Debs chow »

Our chow girl is very protective but fun loving at the same time. Just never know when she will get a case of the zoomies. she will run as fast as she can and jump on the couch and body slam it moving it a few inch's

Hey Hemicuda i take it your a car guy or gal and into mopars? on the weekend i drag the wife out of her flower garden and drag her to the races at 131 where we run our duster.

P.S can you believe our girls dads name was Heavy chevy I almost had to walk away.

Al&Deb
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

Wow! This in my oppinion proves that chows are probably the smartest breed! Theses are amazing animals! Somtimes I swaer they are more like humans than dogs! It's nice to have others around here that share the same love for the breed, (Muskegon is about a 25 min drive from where we are.) I think one of the cutest traits would have to be from our oldest male,Hemi We call him turkey leg b/c whenever he lays down both his legs shoot straight out behind him and look like turkey legs! ( not uncommon for chows i hear) and zeus has a "baby" stuffed toy if we lay down to bed, he loves to pick it up and will lay it on the bed! its not so bad except he figured out that if he puts it in our faces we will pick it up and thruogh it, but eventually he cuddles up to it and goes to sleep. Please keep all these stories coming! they are so much fun to read! :lol:
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Riley is one and three months and pretty mellow except when he gets the zoomies. He loves attention. Sometimes when he comes up to us and we don't pay attention to him he'll bark at us one or twice. He's very lovable, not to mention the ongoing attack of the purple kisses :lol:
Claudia & Riley
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Chi-Ching is sweet, loves to give kisses, loves to snuggle, he is wary of strangers but not aggressive and he warms up quickly, he loves to play with toys, he runs like a maniac, he is very smart, he is likes to do tricks, he is very obedient, he loves kids of any age, he loves to swim.

He is also a sneaky, underminded, stubborn, stuck up, snobby, big headed, lovable, wonderful companion that I would not trade for the world.
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel are very sweet girls - they are litter sisters and are very alike to look at - there are differences but a lot of people cannot tell the difference.
Milly is more cheeky and feisty and Mabel is much sweeter. Mabel is a greedy little baggage and will try to pinch a tit-bit out from under Milly's nose - Milly is not overly bothered about food.
They are both very loving though, in their aloof chow chow way. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Benny has always been a quiet, gentle, peaceful creature, but since we came to visit friends in another town last week, he has become much closer to me most of the time.
Mikosmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mikosmom »

OK, here's a run-down on ours, starting with the current two:
Miko - 10 yr. old cream male; stubborn, smart, demanding (when he wants a leash walk, instead of just going out in the yard, he'll bark & bat you with that big ole' paw until you give in), sweet, loving & incredibly patient with both his little brother Max (2 yr. old Bichon) and baby sister Ginger Lily (7 month old Chow), only eats when & if he feels like it
Ginger Lily - 7 month old red female; the most affectionate Chow we've ever had, gives hugs & kisses non-stop, very protective of her family, will play non-stop with brother Max & is learning just how much big brother Miko will put up with, scarfs down her food & looks to see if either of her brothers left anyting behind
Genie - black female, lived to age 14.5; she was a rescue who had been badly abused (her jaw had been broken & the lower jaw always stuck out beneath her upper jaw, kind of a permanent "smile") & took time to learn to trust men, we got her when she was about 3 years old and we loved to spoil our little sweetheart; she had to come to you because of her past, but when she did she enjoyed all the affection she got & always just seemed grateful to be part of our family; we miss her a great deal
Kai - black female; we had her from puppyhood, until we lost her due to spleen cancer at age 10; she was possesive, feisty, loving and very much obsessed with food. She also was the best baby monitor anyrone could ask for when our daughter was born; she'd sleep next to the crib & come & wake me the minute there was a peep!
Tang - cinnamon male; we had Tang from very early puppyhood until he succumbed to lupus at age 11; he was the most special boy, an old soul who seemed to be psychic; Tang could read our moods like no other animal I've ever known & always knew when you needed him with you most; 68 lbs. of fluff & the most gentle giant you'd ever meet; adored his family and ignored almost all visitors except for his "special people"
They certainly are a breed like no other!!!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Both of my Chows are rescues.

My JR is 9 1/2 and is most affectionate...a real love bug! He kisses and hugs all the time and is always wagging his tail! He is extremely protective, however, he lets anyone pet him as long as they are not a male with a hat on...really has a thing about that.

My Cheyenne is almost 5 {we got her 13 months ago} and much more aloof. Seems like she had an abusive life and 2 homes before we brought her home. She is not easily petted by others...but is becoming more affectionate as the months roll on. She is extremely vocal and makes all these purring grunting sounds especially when she is content which is most of the time and actually talks when she want to walk.

However, they are both barkers which is not a real chowy trait...I still think JR taught Cheyenne. They both love the outdoors and long walks....and to plow through the rivers! As Audymay said...I don't think that there is a pile of snow that they don't like.
And....they are both so great with my grandchildren...really, really good!!

They are both the most wonderful, sweet creatures...I just love them to pieces! There is just nothing quite like a Chow Chow

Sharon
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

I think Chi-ching's summed up my 10 month old Bailey to a tee with the exception of loves to swim. I don't know though if Bailey likes to swim, we've never tried. But he's my Silly Boy, everythings a game to him, happy go lucky. Cute and funny chowboy :P

Moses was more like Benny and some of the others that described as a sweet gentle regal soul. Very laid back and quiet. He was a rescue with a tough life. Poor dear Moses I miss him so! Sigh :cry:

LuLu was my stubborn show girl. Beautiful but hard to train up. She was great in the ring and the rest of the time she was a challenge. Never quite made sense to me but gotta love them. Until she turned ten then she calmed to the lovliest girl ever. I swear not getting them altered affects their hormones..LOL. :roll:
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Ivana is very sweet and laid back. She loves just to sit at your feet and she will quietly get up and lick your hand when she wants some love. She get along with everyone, cats, dogs, everyone....except very small animals. She loves to chase squirels, armadillos (not that small). She is very lazy until its time to go for a walk, then she can go on forever. She gets really excited when its time for a walk and looks at me like I am lazy when its over. She will chase a ball when I throw it, but she expects me to come get it from her so I can throw it again. She is a good fake guard dog. She will growl at people outside the door, but once I open it she loves them and tries to lick them to death. She is protective of the children when we go on walks she will get in between them and anyone who walks past. Basically she is perfect!!

Ziyear is just a fun loving pup. He is full of energy and loves a good chew toy. But if he can see you he wants to play with you. He has not met a being he did not love. He is so friendly and happy. When he wags his tail it moves all the way around like a helicopter blade! He will smell anything and everything. Matter of fact when I came home from the doctors I had a bandage change and it was trying to smell his way through my leg!! Then he kept trying to lick his way through the bandage. Funny guy I had to practaclly run from him to escape his interest. Oh, and walking he could go at top speed forever if given the chance! We still have to walk him on a short leash because he want to either run or smell everything from a blade of grass to the horses!! He is perfect number 2.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Lucid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lucid »

My chow has a personalty where she loves music, shes happy almost all the time but she can get scared easily at such things such as coughing and sometimes just laughing loudly. She will just stand in the corner like a child would in the corner and i have no clue why she does it. She puzzles me at time. She loves children so much she would let little kids poke her all over and if you tried to pull the kid away she would get the look like whyed you do that. She loves kids so much which is a great trait, except for if shes out front and a kid comes walkin by she would walk down to the street to see them. She is protective she hated it when a pit bull started to come into my yard she took it down by the neck but as soon as i made a peep she released the hold and walked away she does not like other protective dogs really.
Name:Katie
Breed: Mixed Chow

You cant have her shes all mine haha :D
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

:lol: oh my goodness! I love all of these pictures! i swear once you read about them and see the pictures the personality's really show! These really are treasures! what a fun way to spread the word on such an awsome breed, Thank you all so much for sharing about your babys!