General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Agility?

Post by Taz »

Can a Chow go Agility?
When my dog gets about 1 year, i wants to start with agility.
Do anybody in here have some experience with that?
Everybody i've asked said that it's just stupid trying with a Chow.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi Taz and Welcome!
Your chowling pic in Photos is beautiful!
About agility. I don't know much about it except for the fact, that if Kodi had any discipline :oops: , she'd be a winner! She can do 'steeplechase' running and jumping like no body's business in our backyard when you get her going! :D
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Hi Taz! Welcome to the site. My chow, Rogan, has two AKC Obedience titles: CGC and CD. Everyone told me that trying for a CD was impossible with a Chow (one person even suggested that I put him down :twisted: ) - and I proved them wrong! Rogue would have gone forward for his CDX (he knew all of the activities) but his knees are weak and it wasn't a good idea to make him jump. :(

Do I think a Chow can do agility? Absolutely! My only suggestion for training is this: break up the routines. Never do them in the same order. Short bursts of training work best with Chows. They are highly intelligent - they learn very quickly. The difficulty is that they were bred to be independent thinkers. :roll: Other breeds will follow humans by compulsion; chows will look at you, pee on your shoe and move forward. They need a reason to participate. :oops: In Rogue's case, he loved it. It was 'our time' together and we enjoyed it.

Physically, you should have your dog evaluated. It's a good idea to have him x-rayed (hips and elbows) and check for any displasia or patella luxation. If he shows any signs of this, you probably don't want to do agility. Chows have a very stiff gait, so don't expect your dog to break any time records! :shock:

Good luck! I expect to see Agility photos!!!
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

My chows' groomer is a dual resident - US and Columbia, South America. She has a chow named Kuma who resides in Columbia that excels in agility. Much better than their other dog which I think is a lab, but not sure. So it can be done. Kuma is full chow.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Rogansmommy wrote:Hi Taz! Welcome to the site. My chow, Rogan, has two AKC Obedience titles: CGC and CD. Everyone told me that trying for a CD was impossible with a Chow (one person even suggested that I put him down :twisted: ) - and I proved them wrong! Rogue would have gone forward for his CDX (he knew all of the activities) but his knees are weak and it wasn't a good idea to make him jump. :(

Do I think a Chow can do agility? Absolutely! My only suggestion for training is this: break up the routines. Never do them in the same order. Short bursts of training work best with Chows. They are highly intelligent - they learn very quickly. The difficulty is that they were bred to be independent thinkers. :roll: Other breeds will follow humans by compulsion; chows will look at you, pee on your shoe and move forward. They need a reason to participate. :oops: In Rogue's case, he loved it. It was 'our time' together and we enjoyed it.

Physically, you should have your dog evaluated. It's a good idea to have him x-rayed (hips and elbows) and check for any displasia or patella luxation. If he shows any signs of this, you probably don't want to do agility. Chows have a very stiff gait, so don't expect your dog to break any time records! :shock:

Good luck! I expect to see Agility photos!!!
Yes, they are very independent thinkers. Hehe.
I had trouble teaching him sit at the beginning, because he would just look dumb at me.
When Diego (That's his name) is one year old, I will get him X-rayed. That I would do with any other breed to. Health comes first.
People i've met say that he don't have that stiff gait Chow's normally have. (Not so much at least)
Time record I can only dream about.. Hehe.
I'm gonna do it just for the fun of it. :D
(And to prove people wrong ;) )

If I begins with Agility, photos will come.. :D
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Thanks for advice.. :D