Chow Chow advice

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Chow advice

Post by Jen »

I have adored chows since I was a little girl my aunt had them before she passed and I'm hoping to hear from owners to learn more about them.

1) Can Chows be good first dogs for a dedicated first time owner? My aunt's first dog was a chow but she had a girl and I've read girls are better for new chow owners. But some websites say their not first dogs but I won't be your average first time owner I will be wanting to meet as many chows as I can and learn everything about them before I bring one home and I am reading dog behaviour and training books. I will also be working with a good positive trainer too who has knowledge and experience of chows and theirs nothing quite like a chow and I don't feel another breed would prepare me for life with a chow only a chow can do that because nothing is as unique and special as a chow. Can they be good first dogs with a dedicated owner and are girls better for my first chow?

2) as a breed How barky are they? My neighbours are the complaining type they have complained about a beagle down the road who barks non stop when her owners are out , I've read they are one of the quietest breeds and only bark when someone is at the door which I remember my aunt's were they hardly made a noise and even their barks weren't too loud.

3) I know their not that playful and play is on their terms because I know their very independent and I respect their independence it's actually one of the things I love about them but can they still have a playful side?

4) some things I read say they have a reputation for being aggressive and can even turn on their owners which I find ridiculous as my aunt's were never like that but I've not owned one yet so wanted to ask is it rubbish like I think it is?

I have seen Facebook posts of people who were bit by their chow and they all seem to say their chow was fine then just bit them. Some say they can get aggressive to loud noises like fire alarms or arguments can make them bite?
tonyzoc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow Chow advice

Post by tonyzoc »

1) Chows are a little different, but if you read up on them you'll be fine. She make take some time to bond with you but once she does its a strong bond. Chows love the outdoors, daily walks (2-3 times a day) are good. Be careful when its hot out. I walk my chow 3-5 miles a day, every day and I take her to dog parks to socialize and run as much ad possible.
2) Chows don't bark much. She might bark at the mailman or someone approaching the front door. She likes to sit on a ottoman in front of the window and watch.
3) my chow can be playful. Shell get a smile on her face and try to bite my ankles playfully. She'll do crazy things like run around the yard, disappear in the back, and when I find her she takes off and runs back to the front of the house. She like to grab a stick and run with it and she absolutely loves the water.
4) my chow is a real sweetheart. She has never become aggressive with anyone or other dogs. Even when other dogs are aggressive she doesn't nip or growl or anything. Maybe she's unique, I don't know.
ImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

SanyaPepega
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow Chow advice

Post by SanyaPepega »

Last edited by SanyaPepega on Fri May 19, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.