Behavior and walking the dog

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wojciechchyla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Behavior and walking the dog

Post by wojciechchyla »

Hi there, my Chow Chow has a bit more than 6 months and suddenly he started being vert stubborn, especially during our regular walks which were going so well. Nowadays, he doesn't want to follow during the walk, he sits a lot and does lots of pulling. He doesn't want to go anywhere I want and coming back to home is a nightmare. He sits just beside the building entrance doors for 20 - 30 minutes, doing nothing. On top of that, he become very lazy at home, he just wants to eat and sleep. No more playing with toys and not interested at all. Is that a normal for such dog? Anybody try to use a slip lead for Chow Chow training? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!
tonyzoc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Behavior and walking the dog

Post by tonyzoc »

wojciechchyla wrote:Hi there, my Chow Chow has a bit more than 6 months and suddenly he started being vert stubborn, especially during our regular walks which were going so well. Nowadays, he doesn't want to follow during the walk, he sits a lot and does lots of pulling. He doesn't want to go anywhere I want and coming back to home is a nightmare. He sits just beside the building entrance doors for 20 - 30 minutes, doing nothing. On top of that, he become very lazy at home, he just wants to eat and sleep. No more playing with toys and not interested at all. Is that a normal for such dog? Anybody try to use a slip lead for Chow Chow training? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!
I'd say it pretty normal for Chows. My girl is 2 yrs old. As a puppy she acted similarly to your description. I walk her on a 26 ft leash and let her go where she want. As she's gotten older, she better about watching out for cars and paying attention to me when I call her. Interestingly, off leash at a dog park, she'll run wherever she wants to, but she keeps an eye out for me. If I call her she will come back near me but not close enough to grab her. I need to use treats to get her back on the leash. Another thing she does on the leasth... If she's on the other side of a street sign or telephone pole, and I stop and wait, she'll then come back around the pole so I can keep walking. She smart and stubborn. I usually give her 30 seconds or so to sniff a spot, then I'll just pull her away. I walk her at least 2 times a day...3-5 miles in all. At home she sits on an ottoman we put in the front window...she's either looking out the window or sleeping in the corner. She might join us on the couch for 10-15 mins in the evening, then she go back to her spot...or sit behind the couch.Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk