Consitipated and Difficulty Urinating

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kenzo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Consitipated and Difficulty Urinating

Post by Kenzo »

Hello,

I have a five year old chow chow that I have raised since he was puppy. Always had a him on a RAW diet which consisted mainly of Lamb or Beef Meat with some vegetables and oils.
He has never had any serious medicial issues, only the occassional baterical infection on his skin which he has been treated for by our vet. We recently moved to a new city (3 months ago), I had to change his diet and he happily moved to fresh dog food gently cooked with human-quality meat and vegetables. I have continued feeding him a Lamb based meal which included Freshly Prepared Lamb and Mutton (60% (Min. 26% Lamb)), Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Green Lentils, Red Split Lentils, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brewer’s Yeast, Minerals, Sunflower Oil, Ground Flaxseed, Turmeric Powder, Dried Rosemary, Dried Thyme.

Last weekend he started expierencing constipation, and I noted that he was finding it difficult to urinate. When I spoek to his previous Vet, he suggested adding Praffin Oil to his meal as it helps relieve constipation, and the following day I took him to the local vet. The Local Vet had a look and suggested an enema to help, so we went ahead with it. It took him a few hours before he could go, he was able to deficate but it was less than usual and he has been trying to go ever since. He is only able to go for short ones.

He has alo been finding it difficult to urinate, he has been trying but only manages a few drops. I took him to the local vet again this evening as I was concerned about him not being able to urinate. When the vet checked him he found that his bladder was full and that prostrate was enlarged/swollen. The vet suggested that we could either do an Xray and he could use a urinary catheter to remove the urine or he could give him some injections to help with inflammation and also if there was any pain he was expierencing. My Chow Chow is not showing any signs of pain or discomfort (besides trying to urinate) so I asked the Vet to give him the injections for tonight and reassess how he is doing tomorrow. He's been resting since I got back from the Vet.

If anyone has had any expierence with UTIs, Constipation, Inability to Urinate or similar issues with the above symptons please share your thoughts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,