Chin infection

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Leothechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chin infection

Post by Leothechow »

Hello All,

So Leo ( Male ) is 16 months old today but there are few things that still I have not been able to get a proper control on in terms of his health.

Subject - Allergies

Background -

So at a very young age a senior vet told us to stop feeding him chicken and dairy products as he is allergic to both which was resulting in scratching and hot spots. That helped and since then all was ok.

But

Lately ( from the last 3-4 months ), again hot spots started appearing and we figured out that the spa we were taking him to for baths and grooming was the reason. As these spots would occur only after baths. So we discontinued that and started to bath him at home using vet prescribed shampoos.

Things got better but not completely ok, his scratching still continued and we saw spots every now and then.

So the vet categorised him as HYPOALLERGIC and asked us to do some management changes such as cleaning his bowls/belts often with Savalon ( An antiseptic in India ) also asked us to switch to pet friendly floor cleaner. The most imp change was - Stop home/natural food and give him only ( Vet life - Hypoallergenic dog dry food ).

Frankly speaking, apart from stopping natural/home food I have done all changes suggested by vet but did not stop home food. Eliminated white rice which he was consuming daily but he still eats some natural cooked foods

Oats - daily
Boiled veggies ( Potato & carrot ) - Daily
Boiled fish - Alternate day
Boiled egg - Alternate day
Hypoallergenic kibble - Daily

Currently there are two issues -

1. Scratching

His scratching as compared to before is much much better but he still does it sometimes and it is always the belly using his legs.

He has no ticks/ fleas, gets a spot on treatment monthly for them. No rashes/hot spots on the belly but still he scratches.

2. Red chin / muzzle

I think at the spa they used to put a muzzle on him and it gave him some allergy which caused fur shedding in patches on the muzzle and red skin. ( These are 2 spots, one on each side ) For these vet has given an anti bacterial lotion which I am applying but I see no result as such.

Also his under chin ( The entire border of the lower jaw ) is pink and i can see its infection.

Note - I only use a clean dry towel to wipe his chin/mane to dry it off after meals or heavy drinking of water.

He lives in a super clean house, after walks paws are cleaned with a damp towel which is soaked in same Savalon ( Antiseptic ) water. Does not meet any other dogs, walks and poops in grassy areas.

Can someone please suggest me what can I do?
KayaChow22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chin infection

Post by KayaChow22 »

Hi did you get Leo healed?