Adopting a new chow into the family

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hanardo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopting a new chow into the family

Post by Hanardo »

Hi there,

I’m new here and feel the need to reach out to fellow Chow owners on my situation.

I have a 2 year old male Chow who is neutered and recently, we adopted another Chow who is a female and between 10m-1y. My male chow usually doesn’t fight unless provoked and hasn’t shown any aggression towards the new family member since we got her 3 days ago. They are separated by a baby gate. The female is spayed and was known to be aggressive with the previous owners puppy - that’s why we have her now.

My problem is that she has growled/snarled at my boy 2-3 times on the other side of the gate and they fought today; the male winning the fight.

We had her for about 3 days now. Separated until today. They were doing so well with each other and trained alongside each other. The fight was unprovoked, no snarls or growls … Just side eyed each other and then they went at it in a blink of an eye.

Does anyone have any tips to help transition her into this family without any bloodshed? And if this applies; how long did it take you to integrate a new chow into a family with an existing chow?

Thanks a bunch