Raising A Chow Puppy

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Silly Sue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Raising A Chow Puppy

Post by Silly Sue »

I have had three Chows, all raised from pups by me. I work for myself so we spend all of our time together. I care for my Chows diligently from the beginning; brushing, bathing, mouth, ears, paws, walks, home cooked meals, etc. I never yell at my chow, requests are made softly with respect. I see many people with behavior problems on this forum. Has anyone had behavior problems after raising a pup in the way I describe or have I just been lucky? My chows refuse to be up on furniture, never destroy property, toilet in the far reaches of the yard, and are friendly in public.They never potty in the house unless very sick or old. They don't bark unless it's important. If they need something they walk up and stare at me. This all has been very consistent.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Raising A Chow Puppy

Post by JasonandNat »

Normal for us as well. Been Chow's around here for decades and everything you say is proper and with same results here. We also handle rescues and find they respond very well to this treatment as well.
GinaP001
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GinaP001 »

this is really refreshing feedback. I'm looking at getting a pup and plan to raise as you describe. This forum and outside research had me concerned about aggression and biting.
MrsDee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrsDee »

Thank you so much for posting this. We just brought in a Chow puppy to our family. We’ve had Pree for almost a month and we have been raising her like this and so far it’s going rather smoothly. She’s been able to socialize with kids, adults and other doggies. We have 2 kids (10 year old boy, 8 year are old girl) and from day one since we had Pree we’ve really stressed the be gentle with kids and vice versa- kids play nicely with Pree and to give her space/leave her alone when she goes to her quiet spot (she has a designated safety/do not disturb area on the main floor- yes, the kids get in trouble if they disturb Pree in her area.) Our kids also help with feeding, walks, training and grooming we are adamant that our kids help with raising Pree because we were a bit worried that with the Chows dominate behavior she might try to bully them. So far with the calm and gentle requests Pree seems to have transitioned well. As of now, the only aggressive behavior she displays is when certain adult strangers approach (I have yet to figure out the criteria of her selectiveness, so far my only conclusion is that they are not a furparent) she will place herself between her humans and the new arrival, she will give a toothy grin and her eyes start tracking but if the stranger stands their ground and is not put off by her display she will plop down next to them and will asks for pets and maybe give a body wag. Pree doesn’t do this with kids, she slowly walks up to kids and plops down and waits for the kids to approach first, she does give a toothy grin but her tail wags and she will tilt her head to the side for new kids..is this normal for an almost 3 month Chow?