5 month old chow bear

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Minney79
Rank 0
Rank 0

5 month old chow bear

Post by Minney79 »

I have had bear for 3 days now I rescued him from a couple who work long hours and he was stuck In a. Bedroom all day as the girls parents were scared of him. I have a 9 month old Labrador and a 7 year old son with ADHD aswell and 2 granddaughter's. Bear showed aggression on his first night while my partner was eating his tea bear went for his food and bit him when my partner pushed him down. Bear has shown severe aggression around food has attacked my Labrador and even bit her. I have researched non stop about chow puppies since getting him. I have bought an extra large cage for him to eat and stay in when I have to leave the house. I feed both dogs in separate rooms. And lift all food from the floor to discourage bears behaviour. Make sure there is no food around that he can have other than his kibble. I gave them both treats I gave bear his in his cage for being good as soon as I get him out he attacked bella thinking she still had hers. I have just gave them there evening meal again separate rooms etc lifting bowls. Bella just sniffed a bin and he's just attacked her again for no reason . I know it's not bears fault the way he is and I don't want to give up on him I really do want to help him and give him a safe and secure home. My Labrador is petrified of him and cowers every time he walks in the room. I have phoned my vets for advice they refered me to a behaviourist who has said she is greatly concerned about his behaviour. She is willing to come see him and put him on a plan of 4 sessions for 300 pound but it's not guaranteed to help. I don't want to waste time and money that could be put to better use for bear. I am at a loss I Know it's gonna take a long time to gain his confidence and respect. I don't want to hand him back to the people I got him off. I want to help him and keep him. But I am seriously worried about his temper can I help him. Can his problems be solved would he be better In a home with no children and other animals. I don't know what to do for the best with him. I just want everyone safe including my fur babies. And advice would be very much appreciated
wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 5 month old chow bear

Post by wrat »

3 days is not a long time, Sorry you are having issues , How old is Bear? are you able to muzzle him? food aggression/resource guarding can be worked with . Aggression is a bit more difficult and getting a consult with one or two trainers/behaviorists is the way to go . good luck and keep updating on your journey
Minney79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Minney79 »

My darling bear is 5 months old. I hope I can win this battle with him. I know 3 days is not a long time I am worried that once he's truly settled that his behaviour gets worse. I want to help him the best I can and give him a good life.
wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrat »

5 months is definitely young enough to get a handle on inappropriate behavior, find some good trainers/behaviorists in your area, keep us updated
Minney79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Minney79 »

just an update on bear the chow chow after almost 3 weeks we have made a massive improvement but still have a long way to go

bear now sits and waits for his food to be prepared with my labrador sitting next to him. he no longer attacks her at meal times

i have crate trained bear for his meals he now sits and waits outside his crate and waits for it to be placed before going in.

he has tye odd grump and growl and my labrador but nowhere near as bad as he was when he first came

i managed to give him first bath today since arriving he let me shower him dry him and brush him with no fuss

he plays with my 10 month labrador and they get on really well.

even tho we still have a ling way to go hes doing really well
wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrat »

wonderful, thanx for update , keep up the good work