Hello!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

susanfbauer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hello!

Post by susanfbauer »

Thanks for letting me join!

I have a dear little Chow, Teaka. She's my third.

My first Chow we found on the street. I took him to the shelter but went back and got him when nobody claimed him. He had terrible hip dysplasia and Demodex mange that persisted his whole life-- but his personality and love of life were inspiring. I loved him so much and became enamored with Chows because of him. When he passed of cancer at age 14, we were bereft.

After Ragamuffin passed, we adopted Chewie from an animal control in Texas. He was 10 and had lived in a backyard his whole life. He was HW positive, stage 3. You would have been astonished if you had met him. Given his neglect, you'd expect him to be under-socialized, but he was the most mellow and good-natured dog. Kids would run up and hug him, and that was great with him! He also ended up dying of cancer at 14.

Now we have Teaka. She's our first "registered" Chow. She also came from the street. Her humans got her from a breeder and loved her for many years. She lived on a large farm and had free roam of 75 acres. Then they divorced and senior dad had the dogs living in a car and had a stroke! The police then accidentally let the dogs go. Teaka was terrified and running around dragging a leash. Some people trapped her in a back yard and posted to look for a home. I responded and came to get her--- she was so scared I had to lasso her to prevent bite. I took to vet right away and she bit him. But she had a microchip, so I found her human. He could not keep her as he was in a nursing home. I asked if I could keep her, and he was happy with that. I took her to visit him, but he has since passed.

Teaka is a very good dog. She is loyal and devoted to me and my husband. She is always by our side and so affectionate. Also protective of us but listens if we tell her someone else is a friend.

The main thing I would love help with is grooming. She is difficult! She was 8 when we got her and is 10 now. Her previous human told me he had to sedate her every time she was groomed. He had her since she was a puppy and can't identify why she is so tough to groom. I hate sedating her. I just hate it.

I try to groom her myself, and it is very difficult. She does not bite me, though she will take her mouth and place it around my wrist. Mainly she tries to climb in my lap and trembles and jumps and resists in a very vigorous way. She did make a biting gesture a few times, but in my heart I did not feel it was serious.

I have tried professionals-- one she got out of the contraption and was in their waiting room growling and preventing people from entering the building. Another one she got out of the muzzle and lunged at staff and bit her tongue and expressed her *Censored Word* glands. There was blood and poop all over.

I am looking for advice on grooming this otherwise perfect dog. She is very well behaved in our house, and we love her to pieces. I'd love to groom her myself, but I have not been able to get it done because of how histrionic she is. I will say that I am not worried about her biting me. Mostly I end up feeling terrible because she is flinching and cringing, jumping at me and putting her mouth on me to warn me.

Thanks for any help!
GavinHamilton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hello!

Post by GavinHamilton »

Welcome aboard! I hope some one will help ! :c
Last edited by GavinHamilton on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Levi98
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Levi98 »

Hi, I am new to forum.
Rusy87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rusy87 »

HI, I am also a new.