Chow biting at forearms?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

electric-mac231
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow biting at forearms?

Post by electric-mac231 »

Hey guys! So my baby is 1 year old and for about the past 8 months she has been biting at her paw pads, between them and at her forearms to the point where theres blood between her paw pads and theres a patch of hair gone from her forearm. We have been feeding her Royal canin development since she was a puppy but switched her to Royal canin hypoallergenic food about 3 months ago but to no avail :( i'm not sure if its a hot spot or not but we took her to the vet and they just keep giving us antibiotics and topical steroid creams which i dont think help much either. They tell us its allergies and she's supposed to get tested in a few months but the test wont take into account dietary stuff so i'm thinking of switching out her food. Has anyone experienced something similar? If so whats the best food to switch to?
Nns29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow biting at forearms?

Post by Nns29 »

I usually feed my chow chow rice chicken snd chicken broth, without salt, also mixet with two slices of bread. I usually tear the bread apart with my hand in small pieces and mix it.
As about your puppy’s wounds from eating itself, it might be skin mold which can be treated with a shampoo or it can also be ticks or fleas. I suggest you giving your chow Nexgard Spectra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk