HELP ME WITH MY CHOW

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

olivethechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP ME WITH MY CHOW

Post by olivethechow »

My baby chow olive is now 1 year and 5 months and has severe skin issues. She basically bites all over her body until she bleeds and scabs. Her hair is now falling out and she is biting her tail. She doesnt enjoy much food, i have been cooking for her but she gets sick of it. I feel the kibble may be causing her more problems.

I have taken her to 5 different vets and they tell me im crazy or that i need to buy “their” products but each time we have done that she started to literally rip and cut herself open.

If anyone can help me with how to properly feed her, amount of time to bath her a year, proper diet information.

She also has mobility issues, she is starting to limp on her back paw and no one can help me on the reason why!!

Please anyone help
michael.ralph1980
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: HELP ME WITH MY CHOW

Post by michael.ralph1980 »

olivethechow wrote:My baby chow olive is now 1 year and 5 months and has severe skin issues. She basically bites all over her body until she bleeds and scabs. Her hair is now falling out and she is biting her tail. She doesnt enjoy much food, i have been cooking for her but she gets sick of it. I feel the kibble may be causing her more problems.

I have taken her to 5 different vets and they tell me im crazy or that i need to buy “their” products but each time we have done that she started to literally rip and cut herself open.

If anyone can help me with how to properly feed her, amount of time to bath her a year, proper diet information.

She also has mobility issues, she is starting to limp on her back paw and no one can help me on the reason why!!

Please anyone help
We had a similar thing with our boy in his first year. I was at the stage where I was ready to give him up and let someone else try. Problem is we tried so many different things Im not entirely sure what cured it. Raw diet, cut out chicken, all meds, etc. Had him allergy tested and they mentioned a few things including chicken as sensitivity but I dont really feel that was the case. He now eats Health Extension which you can get on Amazon. For flea treatment I use the Seresto collars and up until recently I havent been giving him any monthly heartworm treatment as I feel the treat the vet gives may have been part of his issue. I dont want to give you bad advice as every dog is different but I would take him off all monthly preventative, go with a good quality dog food like Health extension and supplement with food scraps from the table. I really feel you pain and I hope you find some relief. If hes really bad you may want to get the vet to prescribe some prednisone. While I dont advocate that it will get you to a starting point where the pup isnt all inflamed and you can cut out all the other things in the mean time. A more natural remedy for skin conditions is a mixture or apple cider vinegar and water 50/50 mix in a spray bottle. We use that if he ever gets bitten by ants or something. I also found this an interesting read http://www.thedogplace.org/health/scrat ... ws-098.asp
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nns29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: HELP ME WITH MY CHOW

Post by Nns29 »

I’ve had the same problem with my chow chow. Some vets told me it is a sort of skin mold that was made when the dog is not brushed regularly. If he is not brushed his tangled hair won’t let his skin breathe causing this issue. I also give him Nextgard specta and it helps him with the organizm, worm tick fleas since he might bite himself to scratch the area where something bites him