Ticks - cannot find them but our Chow has them!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

hobbitlu
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ticks - cannot find them but our Chow has them!

Post by hobbitlu »

Hi everyone!

My family has a chow chow named Teddy, I try to check him for ticks every time I am at home, however, I cannot find any yet he has them :( I know that many people do not like to use any tick prevention on their pets, however, our Teddy loves to be outside and lying in grass, plus he loves playing with our outdoor cats. Could any of you recommend what to do to prevent ticks - other than checking often? Do you, for instance, use frontline? And if so, would you recommend it? Or what about anti-parasitic collar? Are those good idea?

Thank you all so much!
sharimac
Rank 0
Rank 0
Location: http://s975.photobucket.com/user/sharimac1/profile/

Re: Ticks - cannot find them but our Chow has them!

Post by sharimac »

don't use seresto.. I think 2 of my chow chows got cancer from it. Mast cell and gastric lymphoma... may be a coincidence though. I have been using nexgard and get the lyme vaccine and after walks I do a blow out and pick sometimes 10 or more off them.
Nns29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nns29 »

Ticks usually stay around ears, in every part, edges or inside.
Neck is also a common area. Hands, in between fingers and around the fingers. Paws, around every corner you thing it is not possible to be there. Also armpits and his spine might be another area. Otherwise, Nextgard spectra pill was a solution for my dog. It takes 5 hours to be effective for fleas and 48 hours for ticks. The effect lasts 5 weeks for fleas and 1 month for ticks. But anywas you have to see a vet for the medicarion
clarity
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by clarity »

i also experience this. sometimes i just feel it to his skin and I immediately pull it out. i don't want to use any products but cut some of his fur.
PMD1116
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PMD1116 »

Bravecto is a tick and flea pill my Chows have been on since 6 months of age and ticks nor fleas have ever been a problem...my oldest dog is 9... No side affects ever
TylerMason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TylerMason »

it's always a good idea to consult with your veterinarian to determine the best tick prevention approach for Teddy based on his specific needs and any potential health considerations.
Last edited by TylerMason on Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TylerMason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TylerMason »

I personally use a combination of preventive measures for tick control. I find that using a topical treatment like Frontline or a similar product is effective in preventing ticks. Additionally, I also use an anti-parasitic collar as an added layer of protection.