Is it okay not to crate train my Chow?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CottontheChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is it okay not to crate train my Chow?

Post by CottontheChow »

Hi! I’m a new Chow owner and we just got our 2 month old Cotton 4 days ago. We live in a condominium and my brother’s condo is adjacent with ours. We decided to put Cotton in one of brother’s bedroom since my parents are adamant that he should have his own room and he’s not around during the night. We set up a fence for him in that room.

In daytime, he freely roams the house and even enjoyed the garden/balcony. After playing and exercising him, we try to train him as well. On the first 2 nights, he slept through most of the night and inside his fence.

But on his 3rd night, when I went to check on him, he was up. So i picked him up and let him go to potty. But he didn’t do his thing and just laid outside his fence. When I brought him back, he cried and cried. Then we decided to let him out of the fence and he did not cry at all after that. He did his business where we had place his pee/poo pads too.

Tonight is the first night that his out of the fence. Do you guys think he’ll still cry the entire night? My father also insisted that we should let him be even he cries since he can easily access the pee/poo pads. Please, I’m dying of guilt too. :cry: :cry: Thank you!!!

P.S. His feeding schedule: 8:30AM, 1:30AM, 7:30AM. I’m always with him until 10PM
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is it okay not to crate train my Chow?

Post by Brisco »

I don't even need to read your post to answer this. Absolutely! I've never had a dog that was trained to enjoy being in a cage, or crate as mostly lazy dog owners like to call them to make themselves feel better. As you might pick up on by my tone, I don't like them. They do have there place in the dog world but it shouldn't be used in place of actually training and raising your dog to be a good dog. They should mostly be used for transporting. I did read your post and your father is correct about not picking him up when he cries. If you let him cry even if for a very long time he will only do it for a few nights and I guarantee that he will stop doing it in a few days as long as you don't give in an pick him up. It is hard to do but necessary. If you let him roam around you will probably find that he will choose a spot that he likes and that will become his own space where he is happy. Good luck and avoid a crate.
No matter where you go, there you are.