I don’t know if my chow likes other dogs

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

JRose95
Rank 0
Rank 0

I don’t know if my chow likes other dogs

Post by JRose95 »

Hi guys, I’m knew to this site.
I have a beautiful boy chow called Barkley, HE IS LITERALLY MY CHILD! I don’t think it’s possible to have so much love 💕 our relationship is just the best. I’m really struggling to read his body language when he is around other dogs. He seems to want to get to them all the time and he seems to get OVERLY excited and does anything and everything to pull his way over to them, but then today and one other time my partner took him for a walk on his lead as he just doesn’t listen when he’s off the lead, so when he goes out in public near dogs he’s always on a short lead and today a woman’s dog decided to run over to him and it looked like they were playing and then all of a sudden my chow grabbed hold of the dogs neck and just wouldn’t let go he caught my partner hand by accident as he was trying to release his mouth, This has happened before he doesn’t do any damage or draw bloody but he just doesn’t let go. He’s a hit and miss with dogs he seems to prefer bigger ones and doesn’t seem to act like this with bigger dogs. but I just wouldn’t allow him off the lead to see if it would be okay or not. He’s the kindest cutiest friendliest boy. But there is something with other dogs and there always seems to be a problem with dogs off the lead that run up to him. It’s frustrating for us now as I’m scared to take him out because I’m scared I will see someone with there dog off the lead 😞 I’ve thought about a muzzle but why should I have to muzzle my dog when we go for a peaceful work minding our own business and someone dog ends up running over. It really upsets me to think I would have to muzzle him too 😞 My anxiety is just through the roof now. We are currently looking for a trainer to help for him but Any advice would be great. Thanks so much 💕