Fast Breathing

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowsimbaa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fast Breathing

Post by chowsimbaa »

Hi, I am a first time chow owner and had my dog simba (open face long snout). He is about 1 year 8 months. I've always noticed this and its starting to concern me. Simba pants a lot and I know that is normal for chows; however, even while laying down he has mouth open and his chest moves so fast I can't even count his heart rate. It's super fast and I've noticed this for the past months. He still runs around, eats, drinks plenty of water. It is a bit hot here in Southern California, but should I be concerned or is it normal that chows breath fast and the chest moves faster? I dont wanna take him to the vet just because I am concerned and my lack of knowledge. Anyone can offer any advice and what to look out for if something is wrong ?
SunnyBunny
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Fast Breathing

Post by SunnyBunny »

Hi - My chow is 10 years old and has always been a heavy breather - especially in the warmer months (we're in NYC, so that's usually June thru Aug). What makes me stop worrying about it is that I occasionally do hear him slow down during heavy sleep periods (like 3 am). He also snores like a freight train!

As long as your dog is able to get ocassional bouts of calm, I wouldn't be too concerned, but definitely discuss it with your vet on the next visit.
lulu.w87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Fast Breathing

Post by lulu.w87 »

My almost 3 yr old girl is a very heavy breather. Especially on hot days. It takes her a while to catch her breath after a walk. I think it’s a very common chow thing!