Basic Command Training for new 15 week chow pup

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

RiahandBlair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Basic Command Training for new 15 week chow pup

Post by RiahandBlair »

I just got a 15 week chow pup, and she’s the friendliest and calmest pup I’ve ever came across. But all the article I read about Chows being stubborn and requiring more training than other breeds, are all coming up be true, as I’m not being to train my Blair for basic command (sit, come, stay, etc) I tried using a clicker and treats but the breeder said that chows are not know to be driven by treats, so it’s not working :( I love her so much but I’d also like to start training her while she’s still young because I know it’s only gonna get harder when she gets older :( I’ve looked into training classes but I don’t think I can afford any at the time, maybe in a couple weeks. What do I do?
EastonTheChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Basic Command Training for new 15 week chow pup

Post by EastonTheChow »

How did it go?
tata2020
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tata2020 »

im struggling with the same thing i want to know how its going with u since it has been a year
Carolfong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Carolfong »

Hi — hope this is helpful, I am not a dog trainer but a new chow puppy owner….i have watched tons of dog training videos and prior to owning chow, i had a shar pei. Long story short…these are things that might be helpful:

Always exercise dog prior to feeding.
I believe dogs need to work for their food.
You might want to use their food/kibble in training. Basically train when they are hungry—-space out feeding times and make them training sessions.

I think exercise is key even though these chows seem a bit lazy, i did notice that mine still has a burst of energy and runs around at night—this means that she is not getting enough “play run” time

Hope this helps…