Is my dog really purebread? Plus question on cat

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

NewChowChowMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my dog really purebread? Plus question on cat

Post by NewChowChowMommy »

This is my Chow Chow. We got her last night. She’s supposedly a 1-year-old purebread Cream Chow Chow. The people we got her from said that she is papered, but that they recently moved and that it’s packed away in a box, and that they’ll give it to me when they find it. Who knows how true that is. Anyway, we fell in love with her and took her home. Her behaviour (so far) is perfect. She’s the most well behaved dog I’ve ever met. She listens to commands and I couldn’t have asked for a better dog. We’ve known her for less than 24hrs, but so far so good. I’ve had quite a few people ask me if she’s mixed with something because she doesn’t look full Chow Chow (or like a typical Chow Chow). I’ve honestly wondered the same thing. Attached are some pictures. I did some research on my own, and saw that Chow Chows in the olden days had a different appearance to the fluffy bear-like ones nowadays. She looks like the older ones. That, or she’s mixed with something. I think she looks like there’s some Akita, or possibly Shiba Inu in her. She has a completely blue/purple/black (whatever you call it) tongue, the little beady eyes, the long curled fluffy tail, and the fluffy lion mane around her head (it doesn’t look as poofy in pics, though). I’ve read that Chows have straight back legs, and she doesn’t. Idk how common that trait is. What do you think? If she’s not purebread, I feel a little cheated and ripped off. We paid $500 for her (but she’s not up to date on shots, so there’s that expense as well). We also have a 2yo Pug and he very much still acts like a puppy and is hard to control sometimes (he runs around the house like the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character), but so far, with having her with us, he’s been on such good behaviour. Usually we have to put him in his crate when he gets crazy, and he was able to stay out with us and her all night. She is so good with him, and she’s somehow making him act well. The only issue we have with her is with our cat. As soon as we brought Queenie home, she saw my cat and charged towards her. We had her on a leash, and she ran until the leash ran out. My cat ran up the stairs, and Queenie sat at the bottom of the stairs (behind a baby gate) wanting to get up there. I know it’s the instinctive prey drive. The previous owner also had to lock their two cats up. I asked them if the dog ever got to them and what would happen, they said she’s never got to the cats and they honestly don’t know what would happen. I wonder what would happen if she got to my cat. Would she sniff her and walk away, or would she actually try to eat/kill her? It’s not worth the risk to find out, but my Pug used to chase my cat all the time and that died down. My Pug is actually scared of her now haha. But I wonder if this ever would die down between the Chow and cat? My cat is declawed, so she wouldn’t have much defense against the Chow if she got ahold of her. I also worry if my kids accidentally leave the baby gate or door open, leaving the Chow access to the cat. I don’t think it’s fair to my cat to always be locked away (or I’ll have to alternate who’s locked away at a time). I just worry, like I said, if the gate or door gets left open. Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Thank you so much!