BUYER BEWARE!!!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Isn't Canton one of the more popular breeders, I'm not looking for puppies but their name pops up everywhere when you do a Chow search for any info. Some of those Chow Halloween pictures I posted I think came from them but I guess that has nothing to do with the breeding and what goes on.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I think there is a canton chow rescue, but it is probably Canton, Ohio. I'm sure I saw the name on petfinder's. Thanks for the heads up. Anyone who got a pup here, it doesn't mean your pup is going to necessarily be damaged because of it's start.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Look at the life alot of rescues have had and they bounce right back to being wonderful Chows. These puppies can to. At least now if they have a overly shy Chow, or a problem they dont understand where it comes from, this information may help them to understand why their baby is acting a certain way.

I'm glad you decided to let people know the breeder. I wish that place could be shut down. Makes me sick to think of what they are doing to those poor Chows.

Post by Guest »

The website is http://www.cantonchows.com

It's not in any way related to the Chow Rescue in Ohio.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

I totally missed this discussion earlier! Thank you so much for sharing the name of the breeder. We all need to be as informed as possible when purchasing a pup from a breeder. Both of mine are from a breeder—we got Cay as an adult but we did get chewie as a puppy. When we were searching, I had the hardest time being sure and confident about anything. It was AWFUL! I will do rescue from now on but didn't really know any better when we first went looking for a chow.

When I did find my breeder she invited me out to her place to meet all of her chows and see the pups. They are a small kennel but a ton of room for the chows to play. They had beautiful indoor outdoor runs and everyone of the 13 chows (6 were seniors that she says are part of her family so where else would the go?) she and her husband had at the time had a playmate in the run. They piped music into the runs and had air conditioned indoor areas. There were 3 separate areas of fenced in yards so that the puppies could be out playing while other chows could be out exercising in the fenced in areas. Thye rotated their chows in and out of the home (3 inside at a time) and the one litter of puppies was inside, sectioned off in the kitchen where they could be looked after and played with by the people (family, friends etc) that came to visit. Everything was clean, smelled nice and she had chow "stuff" (blankets, trinkets etc) EVERYWHERE. She LOVED her chows, and they all listened to her. That is what I wanted to see. She didn't have many litters a year - maybe two but usually one - and really only bred to improve the breed. She breeds primarily for temperment and for show. I was lucky enough to speak to her when she was looking for a home for a pet quality chow (my sweet chewie.) She put me through the ringer with questions but I was happy to answer anything she wanted to know. With Cayenne - she was my breeders baby. She loved her so much but knew that Cay is just a super love bug that needed more attention than she and her husband could give her. She knew she would be happier in a family where she could have the constant attention she needs. She was so worried about her bonding to us that I swear she called me every day for 2 weeks when we got her to see how she was doing.

Since that time, she has baby sat for both of my pups when were on vacation and we felt so happy to have her around. Unfortunately, now that we have moved, we are quite far away but stay in touch. She calls to check on Cay quite a bit!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go visit if you are looking for a breeder!

Find someone you trust. Someone you would feel comfortable taking your babies back to to visit. Someone you feel loves their chows and is doing what is right for the breed.

I'm sure it was hell walking away from those babies that you knew needed a home but I personally feel that you did the right thing. The best we can do as a community is warn everyone away from this breeder and try to make her market nonexistent so this does not continue to happen.

Thank you again for posting their name. Share this with all chow owners you know to help keep us all informed.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

To bad this couldnt be a sticky to keep it on the top at all times for future newcomers to read.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

When I read this post, my jaw nearly dropped. A number of months ago when I first was looking for a breeder that might have puppies, I found the Canton Chows website and thought since I was in Northern California and they in Oregon, they might be a potential breeder to get a puppy from. I later found a breeder close by whom I really like and am waiting on a litter from her.

When I first met with my local breeder, I asked her if she knew the Canton Chow's breeder, and she said yes and warned me against getting a dog from that kennel. She didn't get into too much detail, but now I'm glad I waited and didn't go that route. Thanks for posting this.
thekidsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thekidsmom »

That where i had wanted get a show puppy as i one my dogs came from one her breeding there are a couple other breeders ones that i know that their dogs live only 5 to 6 years and die of all sorts of things and these are show breeders too

i am still looking!!! for my show baby
thekidsmom
Last edited by thekidsmom on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

I am glad that my horrid experience can at least help others. I am still so sad about it. :(
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
jsantos0716
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: BUYER BEWARE!!!

Post by jsantos0716 »

Does anyone know if Fluffy Teddy Bear Chow Chows are legit breeders. I've been scammed before and am leary now. I know to ask for live video calls. But, before I waste my time reaching out to them, I just want to know. Thanks for anyone who can answer this.

Julie