My chow chow is aggressive with my other dogs

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Doglady
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow chow is aggressive with my other dogs

Post by Doglady »

Hi there, I am looking for some advice please. I have a 10 year old chow chow that we have had for 2 years. He had been on the streets for 6 years and was picked up for dead at the side of a road, his owners didn’t want him back and god only knows what had happened to him. He was broken in body and spirit.
When we first adopted him he was very poorly and weak and it took a lot of special care to help him recover. He has leishmaniasis and tick fever which is controlled by meds. He slotted in the pack nicely with our 4 other female dogs. I noticed he had food aggression quite quickly (prob never knew where his next meal was coming from), so always been careful with feeding and keeping him separate. He also has issues with male dogs and he had a couple of terrible fights, one in which he bit my husband quite badly.

Now he is a big strong boy, loving his life with us and is back to full health, we adore him as does everybody he meets. He is pretty chilled and likes to do his own thing,he mainly likes to sit down the bottom of our drive (perhaps guarding us) and snooze all day, then at night it’s cuddle time for all the pets, so apart from the food and boy dog issues he hadn’t been a problem.

I’ve noticed of late that he has now developed possession issues, be it a toy or even something as simple as a stick. He also gets incredibly jealous if we stroke our other dogs. We give everybody the same level of love but he is particularly upset if it is our alpha female. I always intervene and have to stop giving fuss to everybody to prevent an argument. The other day he went to bite my eldest golden retriever as I was stroking her. I managed to stop him and told him no. But yesterday he was stood at my feet with my alpha and went into a flying attack, maybe she gave him a look or something I don’t know but she is only a little girl, he grabbed her around the neck and began to drag her around. My poor girl was screaming and pooed herself, she was utterly terrified. It went on for a least a minute. I tried all I could to scream shout to get him off her and even picked him up but she was hanging off his jaw. He then bit me in the arm and finger. My little dog is now petrified and I can’t say I am feeling much better, I’m so worried I will come home to a dead dog one day. I have him separate to the others now. but this isn’t a sustainable way of life. I tried a muzzle and he gets out of it immediately. I’m so upset thinking that our boy will have to go, but if he isn’t able to enjoy time with his pack anymore and gets upset and bites us all, it doesn’t seem like much of a life for him being locked away. Has anybody else has the same issues? And can I ever really be sure he won’t kill one of my dogs one day? Or worse still start attacking people?