My chows need a home...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

My chows need a home...

Post by Guest »

:( I have two chows a female (red) 6 yrs. and male (tan) 8 yrs. both are fixed. We live in NY on long island.

My problem stirs from having very bad allergies to begin with. I'm also pregnant and my allergies have become severe to being hospitalized and the doctors are suggesting that I give up the doctors.

My dogs are very special to me and I want to make I find the right home for both of them.

If you want to know more please feel free to call me @ 631-425-4887.

Post by Guest »

What kind of allergies? Asthma? Skin?

Post by Guest »

I have environmental allergies and being pregnant has enhanced my allergies to the extreme.

Post by Guest »

Maybe once you have the baby your allergies will settle down. Would you get rid of your baby because he/she caused you some temporary grief?

Post by Guest »

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW ME OR MY SITUATION... MIND YOUR BUSINESS AND IF YOUR POSTING MESSAGES LIKE THIS TO GET YOUR KICKS... JUST GET OFF AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO WITH YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My chows need a home...

Post by Guest »

First of all I must apologize for that person writing that. They may not have meant it like how it was writtin, cause many times it is easy to mistake the "attitude" of writing than it wat would be said. Like you said the person doesn't understand your situation, true.

Here are some advice that i could probally help you with. As we all know the air inside the house is 5 times more pollutant than the air outside. Assuming that your chows live inside, you should (if it feel like your heart will break finding new homes for them never seeing them again) Have a proper indoor kennel built(with ventilation). Ok add a air filter to just about every room in the home and one in the kennel(on off those quiet set maybe check wal-mart). This would filter and clean the air in your house.

If you live with someone (another adult a mature teen) have them tend to the chows needs (espeacially grooming, bathing,) you maybe able to still keep light contact with them espeacially outside where the space is large). The chow may still come inside but not to long. Oh yeah something that I heard on television I saw a woman(pregnant) having a large two story house with more than 25 animals(dogs, cats, birds, some monkeys and some other set that all resided in some parts of the house that was speacially designed for them. She said that keeping the house clean and you'll never have problems(odors, allergins etc.).

Right about now those are the only advice I can give. The best thing that I can say is take this advise that I have given, and go to a Doctor and consult it with him, (one what have experience with animals).

Shane :)

Post by Guest »

That person probably just meant that a pet (especially a chow) is for life. It is a serious commitment. Not just for when things are comfortable. Others should look at their situation before committing to a chow, and look forward to a time when they might not be able to keep their commitment. Many people even have their chow mentioned in their will to make sure they are taken care of if anything happens to them.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Can I suggest that this young woman need help and advice! :?

Can I also suggest that the two Chow Chows need help and possibly a home. :(

Can I further suggest that anybody who hasn't got anything constructive to say, butts out! :roll:

Now then my dear, I suspect I am a good deal older than you - also I live over The Pond on The Island so I cannot help you. However, I suggest that you take a deep breath, consider the whole situation and then, if the only option is to find homes for your two Chow Chows, start out by contacting rescue organisations, perhaps your vet can help. :)

To everybody else on the site, if anybody can give or knows of anybody who could give these two chows a forever home, contact the young lady concerned. :)

It would seem to me that the health of happiness of five souls are in need.

The young lady concerned, the unborn infant, the father of the unborn and the chow boy and girl. :)

Good Luck and I hope every thing turns out satisfactorily. :)

And purple kisses from Milly and Mabel.xxxx
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Can I also suggest to please log in?! It is more credible to know that your posts come from the heart versus from anger here. So please sign in and if it doesn't show up after you've submitted your post, repost saying it was from you, like many regulars here do... or perhaps do what Shane did by tagging her post with her name.

Also, to the initial poster... do you have any friends or family that can take your chow children in while you go through this phase of your pregnancy? Maybe, your allergies will subside as you go through the different trimesters. One thing to think about is that most babies/children exposed to domestic animals early on, build up an immunity to animal allergies (i.e. cat, dog). So if you are allergic via their oils or dander, your baby will build a stronger immunity against what you are severely allergic to if they are exposed to the allergen early on. Something to think about.
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

My Gender

Post by Shane »

Lou,

Its no big thing a common mistake because I've notice my name is a unisex one. I am a male.

Zhuyos mom

Re: My Gender

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Shane wrote:Lou,

I am a male.

Sorry. I absolutely understand. I always get Mr. Lou..... (which is an abbreviation of my long first name). ALWAYS!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Names can always be a problem! :)

Gender too - I suppose.

When I was born, my parents decided to call me Irene Margaret. They then called me Judy. I was taken to church when I was three weeks old and baptised "Irene Margaret" then taken home and called Judy!! :) :?

And Judy or Jude I have been ever since. Only my doctor and the bank manager know me as Irene. :wink:

However, I used to get fed up to explaining to everybody. :x

When I was confirmed, I decided to take the name "Jude" as my saint's name and of course, St. Jude was a man also the patron saint of lost causes and getting my correct name was indeed a lost cause. 8) My parish priest was horrified :o and told me I could not have the name Jude as it was a man's name. I insisted so Jude it was. :D

So don't worry - names!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan Heard

Finding new Chow homes

Post by Susan Heard »

Judy called my attention to this discussion. I wanted to suggest that you go to http://www.chowwelfare.com and post your chows. There are also good suggestions there for finding a new home for your dogs That site and this one are the best places to post. Be sure to post them in the other section of this site.

Also, go to http://www.petfinder.com and choose "Chow" as the breed and your zip code to do a search for Chow Rescues or at least Chow Friendly Ones. Another idea is to contact West Texas Chow Chow Rescue and see if they can help you. Although it seems impossible, volunteer dog transports take place everyday nationwide - I know someone in NY who organizes them. If a rescue in the lower 48 can help you, a transport can be arranged. If you get them into a rescue, PLEASE offer to help with their maintenance. Rescues are struggling for funds, so if you can pay, do it!

I highly recommned that you contact the breeder from which you got your Chows. If he/she is reputable at all, he/she would rather take your chows back thatn have them go to a stranger.

If you find homes for your chows yourself, PLEASE do a thorough check including a home visit to make sure they will get the care they need and deserve. And insist on an adoption contract so the dogs will be returned to you instead of taken to a pound if things don't work out.

Read all the Chows Wanted posts at this site. Even people who are very specific about color, gender, etc. will sometimes consider a different dog. Always have pictures ready to email along with a detailed description of your dogs' likes/dislikes, behavior, special qualities, etc. - good and bad. For example, I can say how precious, funny, etc. Lucy is, but I have to be honest and say she is headstrong and can be grumpy. She also has some medical issues. Don't hide any info from potential adopters! It spells doom for the dog down the road. By the same token, recognize that good parents come in all packages. I rehomed a wonderful Chow with a family that loves and pampers him but doesn't care for his coat the way I would. (And a lot of you would be scandalized at the condition of Lucy's coat sometimes, too!)

Post flyers and pictures everywhere - Wal-Mart, PetSmart, etc. Then screen anyone who calls carefully, and arrange for a trial adoption if it seems appropriate.

Don't overlook ads in the newspaper, but once again - screen carefully! If you can locate a rescue or shelter (any breed) that does adoption days, ask to tag along with your dogs. Just don't let anyone have them on the spot. Stick to your application, home visit, contract guns. Anyone who really wants them for the right reasons will understand your precautions.

Making a real effort to find a good placement for a beloved dog is hard work. Opting for putting them to sleep or taking them to the pound is much easier, but you will regret it, especially after you have your baby and the "miracle of life" becomes very real.

Call me on my cell phone (615) 512.5851 if you want to talk.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you Susan, for "Butting In"!! :)

Now, your post is what I call constructive comment. :)

Love to the Heard Herd!! :D