Olly from the Philippines!!!

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Olly’s Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Olly from the Philippines!!!

Post by Olly’s Mom »

Hello! It has been years since we’ve had a new dog, and this time, our family decided to get a chow chow, our Olly!

He’s 2 months now and we place him in a crate most of the time because everyone’s busy with their own thing, so we take him out just to play with him for an hour or so. Is this a bad idea? Should we just leave him running around the house instead? He bites everything! From rags, to curtains, to slippers! He also tends to bite our feet or hands when we try to play with him. We say “No!” to him everytime he does that, or place him back in his cage when he doesnt stop. Any advice?
renegade_dcc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Olly from the Philippines!!!

Post by renegade_dcc »

Hello there!
I'm also from the Philippines and a first time dog owner. October last year when we brought home a 3 months old chow chow (Momon) from Laguna and just like you we put him in crate when we're out working. The only time he earns freedom is when we're home to play with him and walk him for potty training. Yes he does bite everything and even licks the flooring, he also eats everything he sees on the floor (leaves, flowers, cotton, human hair). I'm not sure if leaving him in crate is a bad idea, Momon earned his freedom when he was 5 months old but still under supervision of my parents and usually tied up inside my room when we're not home.
His play bite will eventually be gone as he grows so I think it's better when you play with Olly bring toys that he can bite.
:D
ma ko Chow Chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ma ko Chow Chow »

You should make your Chow Chow just chill not always in a crate. If your Chow Chow bites something you should lightly tap with your hand or slippers on his mouth, works for me. ;)
ryanonell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ryanonell »

Hi I also just recently got a chow and I'm amazed on how easy they are to house train. I don't cage my chow as I'm always in the house now, he does run a around for a bit but his energy level is really low compared to other breeds, so after a couple of minutes of running around he'll just start dozing off beside where I'm sitting. Since chow chows have a bit of a history of being aggressive, i think it is best to avoid putting them in cages and make sure they are well socialized everytime someone goes into your home.