Greenies

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Greenies

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm watching the news, they are talking to this lady about Greenies her dog got sick so she took it to the vet, the vet said to leave the dog so she left the dog and by the time she got home the dog had died. When they did the autopsy the dog intestines were completely blocked and filled from the Greenies.

This topic came up before, I don't know why the stores keep selling them
chris

Post by chris »

Hey.... I heard a similar story sometime ago. I think the dog survived, but the greenies got caught or something. Anyway, ever since I heard the story I stay away from them. Not that I ever bought them before anyway, but had considered it one time.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yeah and whats bad is when they first came out I was trying to force them on Pekoe, she didn't like them so I'm at Pet-smart come on Pekoe try one you have to like these, good thing she know what not to eat.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Ugh... that is so creepy. Why do they still sell them? I ahve not tried them nor do I ever plan to. I'm very careful about what I give Special. He basically gets his solid gold, hot dog bits, frosty paws, now some of the nutro deserts :D , the nutro denatl treat and then the rest is those 100% beef liver cubes from petsmart once in a while and his Trader Joe's chicken strips. I always walk through the treat aisles, but I'm so hesitant to try any of it, I just never know what's safe and healthy and what's not.
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

I'm not sure why they sell them either. Our chowlings have their own pet, a cat..ha!ha! & I purchased greenies for all 4 of them. They all snubbed their nose at them even the cat. I kept offering them & would getthe same response. Then I heard a similar story on them & on the garbage they went. I guess it's silly owners like me who didn't know Proctor & Gamble purchased the "IAMS" name then changed the ingrediants & continue dto feed it until I found this site.
I would be the idiot purchasing the Greenies.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
divamom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by divamom »

hi guys i am sorry what are greenies :? :oops:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think it says Greenie's on the box and bag, they are like green Candies, they look like little tooth brushes. Let's put it this way if you pick something up and its a bag or box of dark green Candies they most likely will be greenies, They do say greenies but that may just be the manufacturers, they may be put out by another company under a differant name. kind of waxy looking things
divamom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by divamom »

thank you you guys always teach me something diva is doing so well she doesnt grab anything any more and is eating well getting big 30 pounds know i dont get any sleep any more she wakes me up licking me really early but i love her
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I bought Darkwind and Firesong greenies once. They liked them just fine, I didn't. They weren't strong enough for them especially Darkwind and when he bit it, the thing shattered little green hard bits of stuff all over the wooden floor, (I walk around bare footed at home) I was walking on them for at least a week, no matter how much I cleaned. No more greenies for them, now I'm really glad!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Am I the only one that thinks "Greenies" is a gross name for a pet food/snack product?
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sorry Gang, I'm pro greenies. It's helped more dogs with their dental problems than posing a threat or harm. I don't plan to join the anti-greenie crusade. I bet you that the dogs that died were given larger greenies than they should have and given as a constant treat versus a dental aide. I usually gave them to my two every six months AND I supervise them and throw out any unused portions. Especially with Zhu's GI history, I watched him like a hawk and once I felt he did enough "brushing", I took his away. He also instinctively would leave it when he was finished "brushing".

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/greenies.asp
http://www.thetruthaboutgreenies.com/
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

early on a friend gave us greenies for Shiloh...she totally snubbed them and we didn't try them again...dunno if they are good or bad but with Shiloh's initial rating, we never went further than that...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Never had them I just brush the kids teeth with doggy toothbrushes and toothpaste. I could not try them probably for Ivana since she is such a picky eater.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!