Could a chow and shar-pei get along?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mrmills023
Rank 0
Rank 0

Could a chow and shar-pei get along?

Post by mrmills023 »

I have a 9 month old chow and I want to get another dog. People say chows are dog aggressive but he is not he just wants to play really rough and some dogs are not up for that so they either tuck their tails and stay by their owners or they play rough right back with him. Now I'm interested in the Chinese shar-pei because personality wise they seem very similar.Looking at getting a female shar pei, is this a good age to add another dog for him, and also I've heard shar peis are dog aggressive so I assume they could also be dog friendly like my dog, just in a different way. Just wondering if this is possible if they grow up together and I establish myself as the alpha leader of them both. I love my chow just wondering if anyone has more info or experience of a chow and shar pei together.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Could a chow and shar-pei get along?

Post by JasonandNat »

No reason they can't. Just depends on you. However why not another Chow? Then they can play rough together.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think you are right. Chows and Shar-Peis are very similar in disposition.

If you are going to try and have a mix of breeds living together, then that would be the way to go. I have seen this mix and it seems to work nicely.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I had a Chow and a Shar-pei. They were about a year apart. The Shar-pei was female and the older of the two. The Chow was male. They got along great. The Shar-pei was the dominate one of the two. She would correct him if he got to rambunctious, much like she corrected my sons if they were too rowdy in the house.

The Shar-pei had more energy, but was not as fond of tackle games as was the chow. I was fairly young and ignorant about intact dogs and ended up with a litter of Chow-Peis. :shock:

So, I guess it is safe to say they got along a little too well!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Chow-Pei's, now that had to be interesting.
Teresa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teresa »

Yes! I have a female Shar Pei and when she was 2 y/o I adopted a 4 month old male Chow Chow. That was 1 1/2 years ago and they get along great.
ClaraM12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ClaraM12 »

Cindy J wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:57 am I had a Chow and a Shar-pei. They were about a year apart. The Shar-pei was female and the older of the two. The Chow was male. They got along great. The Shar-pei was the dominate one of the two meilleure assurance chat . She would correct him if he got to rambunctious, much like she corrected my sons if they were too rowdy in the house.

The Shar-pei had more energy, but was not as fond of tackle games as was the chow. I was fairly young and ignorant about intact dogs and ended up with a litter of Chow-Peis. :shock:

So, I guess it is safe to say they got along a little too well!
I would love to see the children they gave because it must be beautiful with this combined breed.
Okiechick79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Okiechick79 »

My chow chow & my cat are best friends.