Low Thyroid level

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Low Thyroid level

Post by buddysmom »

Does anybody know what a low thyroid means? Buddys was pretty low. I have to pick up some pills from the vet tomorrow.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Is it *primary*, secondary, or tertiary hypothyroidism? A person would need to know what level of thyroid testing was involved, or whether just the simplest test was used, which really isn't that valuable. You would need to know which other health conditions can pull down the thyroid numbers, which nutritional and environmental factors can pull down thyroid numbers, etc. There are a lot of thyroid posts in the archives to give you some idea.
buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buddysmom »

The T4 was very low, however, after these past two weeks on Rimadyl his liver and other blood work was fine.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "The T4 was very low"

As already mentioned, there are a variety of factors which can pull down the T4, such as certain meds, quality of nutrition, other health problems, etc.
buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buddysmom »

Thanks, I'll check with my vet because I'm not sure and he really didn't say.
mich
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mich »

Did Buddy start his meds yet? How is he feeling? My sweet Mai Ling had an overactive thyroid. And she took meds twice a day. She did fine.
Mich,
Mom to Thunder, Thor and Shu-Ling
buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buddysmom »

He takes a .5 ml Thyrotab twice a day. Considering he's having surgery tomorrow for his "blown" knee, he seems to be doing pretty good. He still has a lot of spunk and wants to run and play soooooo bad. Hopefully this knee surgery will get him back to that.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I don't know anything about thyroid levels but I just wanted to say I hope he's doing well.

He's such a handsome guy!
buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buddysmom »

Buddy said thanks for the compliment.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Considering he's having surgery tomorrow for his "blown" knee..."

All best wishes for tomorrow's surgery, and a full and speedy recovery!
mich
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mich »

I have to tell you Buddys Mom, I just love looking at Buddys photo. He could pass for my dear departed Mai Lings brother. And when I look in his eyes it reminds me of her. Best wishes, god speed for a quick recovery.
Mich,
Mom to Thunder, Thor and Shu-Ling
buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buddysmom »

Thanks Mich!
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Buddy's mom??? Louisville??

Post by threedogjeep »

Hey I am a Kentucky girl living now in PA. Been here 6 years and just got my first chow!!! I lived in Louisville too!!!! Where are you located????
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

hey buddysmom.....The Cards come up here to play Temple in football on Sept 9!!!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Carole Dalton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Carole Dalton »

Hi! I'm new to this site. I was browsing trying to find some information on helping my maturing Chow with what seems to be some joint pain and saw the low thyroid topic. Teddy (my beautiful black chow)was diagnosed with a low thyroid about 6 months ago and put on the same meds. Within a very few days, I saw my usually independent best friend become so clingy I couldn't go to the bathroom without him coming in with me. We tried lowering the dosage - no change. I finally took him off the meds and although he's not as active as he was, he's almost back to "normal." I believe there's something to be said for the quality of life - and his quality wasn't very good on the thyroid meds. Teddy is 13 so he deserves to sleep more than he used to.
I've learned a lot by reading the postings - thank you all for your help - especially the vinegar and the salt water for hot spots.
Carole, Teddy, and Rick
Carole, Rick & Teddy