Moving... Tips and suggestions help!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Moving... Tips and suggestions help!

Post by simbasmom »

In just over a week I will be packing up my family and moving across the country to start our new life.. This is the scariest thing I have ever done in my life.. I bought a little house site unseen, in a town I have never been to before and are selling everything we own and starting over... a single mom, a 13 year old boy and a little chow boy and a 1800 km drive... lol what was I thinking..
Anyway, does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make this adventure as comfortable and stress free as possible for Coco.. I have been trying to get Coco as used to the car as possible but I have never taken any big trips with him or any other pet of any kind so any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Carol(simbasmom) and Coco..
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe just curls up on the floor and sleeps on long trips, Just carry water and food for him, I don't know how far you are going but stop once in awhile maybe at a rest stop so he can do his buisness and stretch alittle, when you stop keep an extra eye on him, It might be just me but i don't trust those rest stops alot of wierd people hang out at them but they are some what safe during the day. Keep him leashed and in sight.

I just noticed your in Canda,your rest stops are probably safe. I think thats Canada.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Carole,

I have never done anything like that so have no personal advice to give.

I am just looking at your situation logically and can I suggest that you treat the whole thing as an adventure for both boys, human and furry. I think you are very courageous so don't get stressed, because they will both pick up on it.
:)
Water, food, treats (for both boys) and a calm, smiley mum.

The very best of luck and please let us know when you arrive. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Be brave! I always was so excited to move to a new place, but have been in this house for 16 years. are you sending furniture ahead? Starting completely new? I will assume you are driving a loaded up car with your boys...

My best advice is to chart your course, figure how far you all can travel each day, and go on-line to book hotels that allow dogs along the way. I have to assume you won't have room for a travel crate, so just make sure you have a big enough spot for CoCo. I would also get a tag made that has CoCo's name, and your cell phone number on it, just in case of some freak occurance and he got away, someone could get ahold of you immediately.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I just wanted to wish you safe travels to your new home.

One suggestion I have is to get copies of Coco's vet file so you can have it on had for the trip and for the new vet. Have a first aid kit for both human and animal in the car. A towel, loose plastic bags and roll of paper towel for the "just in case" moment. Finally, watch out for squirrels!
katt143143
Rank 0
Rank 0

help

Post by katt143143 »

stay calm and try and make it like a normal car ride if he gets a little ansy don't panic, it will only make it worse on the dog. and don't say the word vet. in my experianse it is not a good idia. i know because i have moved 12 times in the last 3 years.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

The chows I have had have always traveled well. They sit and look out the window and go to sleep when they get tired of that.

Like Jeff said, I would be extra careful at rest stops, not just because of the potential for wierd people, but also because of loud noises, etc. that Coco may not be familiar with. Don't want the little guy to freak out and try to take off!

Best of luck with your trip and your new life!

Yvonne and Brandon
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Look at it this way - at least you are moving away from those horrible buttholes down the street. Whatever happened with that and the incident with Coco? Nothing, I suspect.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yvonne,

I love your expression - "buttholes" - so much more polite!! :lol:
I must remember that!! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Not the most accurate description, but since this is a family board I tried to be polite. :)

Figured you all knew what I meant!
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Thanks for all the suggestions and advise.. i have already mapped my trip and made arrangements to stay with friends along my travel route.. I hadn't thought of the dog tag with my cell phone number on, very good idea. We are going to take our time on the trip and take as many breaks as we need.. and hopefully we will be able to get there in 3 days.. I can hardly wait to get there and begin our new life and get back into a routine.. things have been very hectic with all the arrangements and both my furry and non furry kids have been really stressed out..
Carol
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I would take some chew toys and other small items for him to play with that are not balls since no chasing in the car. Also, if you don't already have one I would invest in a dog seat belt. With the high speeds on the highway if you have to slam on the breaks you don't want him to go flying and get hurt. This is the ones I have they are only 9.99 and are really easy to use and work as a harness when you need to get out for potty breaks so you don't need a collar.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... t+belt&N=2
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Thanks for posting the seat belt info. I'm going to have to get one of those for Brandon if we ever have to drive very far - he sits in the passenger seat and falls off sometimes! Thought they would be more expensive than that.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Just in case your getting nerves about the Move, I have done that twice and on the verge of doing it again, Sold everything, packed up and moved sight on seen to Maui stayed for 10 years then to San Francisco for 6 years, both places I had no idea what i was in for, it always works out it just the initial moving that's nerve wracking. Once your there and settled in you will be happy you did it unless it some crazy town with lunatics living in it, I think its great what your doing alot of people would love to do the samething but are to scared to actually make the move. I'm sort of on the verge now of doing the same but now I find out I'm limited to where I can move because of Pekoe's cancer vaccine. Everyday I wake up,look at Pekoe and say ok this is it I hate it were out of here now I'm just trying to figure where to.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

I am definately getting nervous about the MOVE! Not really what I am going to find at the other end if we don't like the place we will just look for somewhere else, but just the getting there. Now that the decision has been made to go, I just want to get there already.. I am bit nervous about the trip itself since I have never made a trip of that distance by myself before.. although I did drive from toronto to north carolina in a blizzard so this should be a piece of cake compare to that.
If I can just keep everybody calm this should be a grand adventure.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Toronto to North Carolina in a blizzard????

You're braver than I am!

I don't like to drive in the snow at all.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I drove from seattle to atlanta, but no blizzard. It was summer so it was a really nice drive. I understand short drives in snow storms but a long drive?! Your crazzzzzzy! :lol:
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Hey Carol. Just wanted to pipe in that I'm doing the cross country move from Illinois to NC in about 3 weeks. My thing with the babies is just making sure they get out a lot to stretch their little legs. I also keep a "waterhole" bowl in the car so they can drink whenever they want and it doesn't spill.

I'll be thinking about you!
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

I don't mind long drives in good weather. They can actually be fun. But I don't like to drive in snow.
Short snow drives only, and then only when absolutely necessary.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

When I made that trip 6 or 7 years ago I was definately a little crazy at the time. It was 2 days before Christmas and my doctor had just told me that I had breast cancer (lucky for me he was wrong) and I was determined that I was going to spend the holidays with my sister. I checked the weather and it was going to be a clear night so I packed up the car and off I went. We didn't hit any snow until we had crossed the border and left new york state by that time it was too late to turn back. I drove slowly and followed the snow plow and other than spending 2 hours in Erie Pennsylvania in a snow bank waiting for a tow truck, we didn't have any problems, but I don't think that I will ever do that again it was a pretty nerve wracking experience. My friends tell me I am brave, but sometimes I wonder if I am just nuts ... lol
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Good Luck with your move and I hope that your new life will be good.

I think that Chows travel well and you shoudn't worry about anything.

When JR came home 8 1/2 yrs ago...he used to get carsick all the time for 2 months...then all of a sudden...nothing.
Since then he has traveled alot.
Back and forth from Cleveland to western Ohio for a couple of years.
Two 9 hr trips to Nashville to see Alans family. And now Cheyenne joins him in the back for our western Ohio trips and they both do beautifully.
Sharon
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

That must have been so unnerving to hear you had breast cancer, and such a huge relief when you found out he was wrong!

That would make one crazy enough to make that drive, after hearing news like that!

How long was it before you knew the initial diagnosis was wrong? Did that experience forever change your outlook on life?
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Well I certainly was a basket case for a while.. it took 3 months and alot of tests and surgery to find out that it wasn't cancer. It was a very stressful time in my life. One of the girls from my office had died from breast cancer around that time and I was really worried about what would happen to my son if something happened to me..
The experience does change your outlook on life and makes you realalize that you shouldn't put off doing the things you want to do, that way when your time does come you shouldn't have many regrets..
Jmess
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Moving... Tips and suggestions help!

Post by Jmess »

That's quite an adventure you've lined up for yourself there. Hope it all works out. As for moving with pets, I can't say I've ever undertaking anything quite that far, but the moving company I used had an article on their website about it that I found helpful https://threemovers.com/tips-to-conside ... with-pets/ I'd say it's important to plan out rest stops for bathroom breaks and letting them stretch out and run around at least a little bit. Food and water are obvious, but also consider where you'll be staying. If it's hotels, make sure they allow for pets and make arrangements in advance. I'd probably also plan for a few less miles per day than you may be initially thinking so you have plenty of time for chow chow breaks along the way. Good luck!
Jmess
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Moving... Tips and suggestions help!

Post by Jmess »

Nevermind didn't realize how old this post was.