Our Chowgirl Shelly

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Our Chowgirl Shelly

Post by SirDooFuss »

The past year has not been easy for our Chowgirl Shelly.
She's about 13 years old. I say "about" as we got her as a rescue chow in front of a local pet food store. I also say we won the lottery with her as she is the sweetest dog I've ever had.
About a year ago she was having small accidents or "leakys" around the house so we got her a doggy diaper.
Over the next few months we could tell her hearing was going.
In October we noticed a growth at her mouth that was diagnosed as cancerous and ended up removing half of her lower jaw.
She came through that like a trooper.
About a month ago our vet told us she has stage 2 Kidney disease, and put her on a special diet.
She does not seem to like that food and has been eating less and less of it. She's also been sleeping a LOT.
I had been walking her 2-3 miles a night, she's always loved our evening walks, but lately even a half mile has been hard on her.
Today my wife called to say Shelly has been throwing up and is having trouble standing.
We're taking her to the vet this afternoon.
I've been preparing myself for our eventual loss, as the ailments accumulate, but I wanted to let you all know what's been going on.
I feel like in a few years I'll be going through what she's been going through.
I hope I can handle it with as much dignity as she.
I do so appreciate all the time we've had with our little angel doggy, and I'll appreciate any more time I'm granted.
Shelly at the Norcal Chowfest in 2011
Shelly at the Norcal Chowfest in 2011
Shelly Small.jpg (38.07 KiB) Viewed 17161 times
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Our Chowgirl Shelly

Post by ski »

Every day is a gift. I am so sorry. I have been in your situation and it is a very painful process. Take comfort in the great life you have provided for her
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

Thank you Ski.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Iam so sorry to hear of Shelly's condition. Thoughts and prayers are with you as I kind of know what you are going through ..Shelly even looks alittle like Nikki and she had nasal/oral cancer.
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

A benefit of the surgery that removed half her lower jaw is that we get to see more of her beautiful purple tongue!
(she'd been shy with it)
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I'm so sorry that your lovely chow is fading in health.
I am sure that you will do the right thing for her and will allow her a pain-free and dignified end when the time comes.
You are both blessed to have found each other and you should take comfort in knowing that she has had a great life with you. I wishe every dog was so loved.
Thinking of you at this painful time.
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

We visited the vet yesterday and got much better news than expected.
He thinks Shelly has Idiopathic or “Old Dog” Vestibular Disease.
To quote the second link:

Dogs with idiopathic vestibular disease have some combination of the following symptoms:
•A head tilt
•They are unsteady on their feet and may fall over
•They circle in one direction or even roll across the floor
•Their eyes flick back and forth, up and down, or rotate in a circle (this is called nystagmus)
•An unwillingness to eat due to nausea
•Vomiting

Although it could be much worse, brain tumor/stroke, he thinks it's most probably this.
He gave her some fluids and something for the nausea.
She should get better on her own in the next few days, and we should keep her comfortable and help her get around.
Last night all she wanted to do was lie near us.
She could not walk and even sitting up was a struggle.
I tried to feed her a bit and she wanted none of it.
I tried to take her to the back yard to give her a short hand-held walk, but she wanted none of that either.
I left her by the door to the back yard, a short time later we heard a plop. She had managed to get back to her spot by the couch so she could keep an eye on us!

Considering what we were expecting this is fantastic news.
I don't know if anyone here has experienced this, but any insight would be appreciated.

http://thebark.com/content/idiopathic-o ... ar-disease

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/ ... ar_disease
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I can't tell you anything about this in dogs, however I can tell you about it in humans as I suffer from the human version myself (though am not an old dog yet!).
It is like being on a merry-go-round that you can't get off and even the slightest movement is sickening - like the worst hangover/seasickness ever.
It is great news that this can simply get better in dogs and I hope that it does for Shelly, as I can sympathise with her.
My best advice would be to simply allow her to lie still in her most comfortable spot near you but not to try to move her at all or bother her really. Particularly do not move her head as it sets of terrible waves of nausea.
The best I can do during these episodes is to sleep it off - sleep is a great relief from the spinning sensation. Let her sleep, sleep, sleep.
It must be very upsetting for a dog.
I hope that she improves very quickly. Please re-think and consult your vet again if this lasts for any significant period of time as it really is not pleasant.
Poor Shelly - and you - hope she improves asap and I'll be thinking of her.
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

Thank you for your insight Fozzbear. I spent a lot of time last night just lying on the floor near her and petting her. She seems to be fine and not in any distress as long as she's lying near us. My wife says she got up this morning on her own to drink and potty. Then back to lying down. This is all very encouraging to me and I hope it works out.
Thank you again!

Steve
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Iam glad to hear that your Vet is keeping an eye on Shelly, vestibular diseases are not fun I suffer too from Vertigo . Hopefully they subside and nothing else crops up . Keep us updated..
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crumpet »

I'm so sorry. I've been there. My chow mix lived to be almost 17 and he was a rescue also. It hurt to watch him decompensate and know that the changess were not reversible. We were so lucky to have him as long as we did, and so are you. You did God's work when you rescued her and gave her a wonderful life.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am sorry that Shelly is not doing so well. I remember meeting her at Chowfest. It is so hard to see them struggle in their old age. I am glad the vet doesn't think it is that serious at this point. Hopefully her dizziness can get under control so she can start to eat more. I will keep her in my thoughts.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Best wishes from the entire family to yours.
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

Thank you so much for all the well-whishes.
Our chowgirl Shelly is not 100% but is doing sooooo much better!!! \:D/ \:D/ =D= =D=
It is as the vet thought and we are so relieved.
Her appetite is almost where it was, she is a little slow on the stairs and walks but that's just fine!
She's lost a bit of weight, from a high of 37 lbs to a recent 33 lbs to her current 27 lbs, but again, her appetite is almost where it was.
We are so thankful for every minute we have with her!!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Sorry I have not check in on the site lately. Shelly is the sweetest Chowgirl ever!!! I am glad her condition has improved. =D=
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I only just saw this and I was so glad to read on down and find Shelly improving. Good news :)
I hope you many years together still. She found her true forever home when she came to live with you.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

I'm so glad to hear Shelly is improving. She, as well as you, have been in my thoughts and prayers. Isn't it amazing when we think we are the one who rescued them and yet they are the one who rescued us and make our life worth while? I'm so happy for her that you were the one who rescued her and provided her with a good life and lots of love and care. Enjoy and make the most of every day you have with her.

Sending a comforting hug from me and purple kisses from Whitby

Take Care
Pam
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

Just an updated picture of Shelly.
We got her hair cut a bit shorter than usual a couple of weekends ago due to some Klingon issues, dingleberries my wife calls them. :roll:
Chowgirl Shelly 2013
Chowgirl Shelly 2013
Shelly Small.jpeg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 17002 times
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Look at our lovely and sweet Shelly!

Tiggy sends her kisses :x
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Shelly is a pretty girl. Give her a big hug for me. I know you love her dearly.
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

This past month we have seen a slow steady decline in Shelly. She's become less and less mobile, to the point we need to help her get to her pee-spot in the back yard. She's eaten no more than a total of a few ounces of any kind of food in the past week and her weight has dropped drastically. Although she still drinks water regularly, walking to her water dish and even standing up to drink takes a great deal of effort. She doesn't seem to be in pain, still wants to be near us, but her deterioration is obvious. I feel like she's doing everything she can to spend as much time with us as possible, but know she doesn't have much time left. I thank God for the day Shelly came into our lives and appreciate all the time we've had with her and, God willing, will have.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so sorry to read this post. It is so hard to see them going slowly down hill. Every precious moment is a memory for those days to come. I am so sad for you but so glad that Shelly had such a wonderful life and family with you and you will have so many memories.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Poor girl. It is so sad to hear she is declining even further. Is there anything the vet can give her to help with mobility? My Fozzie was not able to walk well and had many other health issues. He got a few different meds (I can't remember them right now but I think one was a steroid) and it actually gave him one year more of mobility that he wouldn't have had.
SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SirDooFuss »

Yesterday we reached the very difficult decision to arrange for Shelly's passage over the rainbow bridge. She was very disoriented and no longer able to raise her hips or move on her own. We truly felt any prolongation would be selfish on our part. This morning our vet, a wonderful caring soul, came to our home. I stared in to Shelly's eyes, gently stroked her, and held my other hand close to her nose so she could smell my scent and I could feel her breath. She passed over that bridge at 8:10AM. We are so, so grateful for our time together.
Tomorrow I am running the San Francisco Marathon. I am dedicating my race to Shelly and will pin this picture of us together on the back of my shirt.
Shelly and Steve.JPG
Shelly and Steve.JPG (80.86 KiB) Viewed 16790 times
Thank you to everyone on this site.
Thank you for all the ChowFests we were able to attend.
Thank you God for bringing Shelly into our lives!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so sorry to hear of Shelly's passing but it sounds like you did everything you could and it was just her time had come. It is so hard to let them go but it is the final gift we can give them not to prolong their suffering. Run free Shelly and watch over your dad running his race for you. Wishing you a good race and again I am sorry to read this news.