Chow Wont Drink Out Of Bowl?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RebeccaMarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Wont Drink Out Of Bowl?

Post by RebeccaMarie »

Hello everyone! My Chow Chow Gracie who is 3 and a half refuses after 3 years not to drink out of her water bowl she only want's to go outside and eat snow and drink up rain water on my deck outside. I tried to coax her into drinking out of her dish but she will have nothing to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this problem with there Chow? Any feedback would be great
Thanks,
Rebecca
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Chow Wont Drink Out Of Bowl?

Post by Victory »

What is her water bowl made from? Both plastic and some ceramics get moldy, you can't see it, but she can smell it. I prefer steel ones myself, I can wash them really well and make sure to remove any scum or bacteria that accumulates from them drinking, like the build up your own toothbrush can hide. That way they are getting very fresh clean water. Also if the bowl is too big and the water sits in it, it will become stale and she won't like it. For my two chows I have a somewhat small bowl, it only holds about 2 quarts of water, I fill it twice a day in the winter, and 3 to 4 times in the summer, but they get nice clean fresh water.

Eating snow or drinking rain water can be dangerous if it get contaminated with anti-freeze from cars, so you want to nip this in the bud asap.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow Wont Drink Out Of Bowl?

Post by Blackbear »

Funny but our boy wont drink from the steel ones. Only heavy ceramic type. Also need to change water almost daily during summer.