Does your Chow grunt and snort?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Just got thru cleaning the "snortings" off the window, a daily thing. When my Chows are alerted they get up on the window and growl and SNORT. Zeena doesn't grunt, but her brother, Max, does. I give him a hug and he starts grunting. I lOVE it. The breeder said his mother did too. Zeena is a half sister, different mother, so she doesn't grunt but, she can sure snort! They're funny, except when you have to clean the window.
Gene.
Gene
Auddymay

Re: Does your Chow grunt and snort?

Post by Auddymay »

Yep, we have 2 grunters and snorters here. Snort when being stimulated, as before barking at something, and grunt when ...well...disgruntled! Sometimes used as a statement of the atmosphere of the home, good or bad...lol.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tippsy grunted and snorted. :lol: I loved it. Dixie and Jasper also grunt and snort. I dunno if Cinder grunted and snorted; I was so young when we had him...
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

This made me smile.My dogs like sitting on my windowsills (which are deep but beginning to collapse under their weight) and I'm forever cleaning the windows! Grunting, snorting, burping, snoring - you name it, I have two very noisy dogs!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Hey, you just HAVE to love them. There's no other breed like them. And to make sure of that, they decided to have two more teeth than the other breeds. Love 'em. Chows, unlike all others.
Gene.
Gene
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Matilda and Maisie grunt but they don't snort. I love their grunts. In fact I absolutely adore them both! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep, just cleaned BOTH patio doors yesterday and today, I had to do it again. Grunt, snort, huff, puff. Generally cracks me up, even with the messy windows.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep. Rory is a snorter, grunter, snorer. All of the above. I might even add that he purrs too.

Now the snorting and grunting can probably be attributed to his physical qualities, he's a closed face chow, so those noises are similar to what you get with smushy faced dogs (not like a pug though...boy, do those dogs make some odd sounds). But if you pay attention closely, he uses it as communcation too. He definitely has control over it (at times at least).

And yes, the Chow spray can be tough to clean up. I have been amazed how high i have found drops of Chow drool.
steph131
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by steph131 »

So pleased to hear this is normal!! I was just reading another post about wagging tails; my Barney doesn't wag his tail much, he's very selective and it's usually when someone makes a lot of fuss of him. I was worried incase this means he's not very happy, but his tail is always up (i heard if the tail is up on his back he's happy, when it drops, he's not...or tired :P). But when you get to his level or start playing games, he grunts alot...i wasn't sure whether this is a good thing but it must be if you're all reporting it too :)
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Yup. FengHuang is a massive grunter/snorter and loud!!! She can do it loud enough to sound like a bark. She also can snore - does snore loud enough to shake the house. And whines when disappointed. ShenLung passed most of this, but barks, growls and snores, just not in league with his sister. ;)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba grunts, snorts, yelps, snores and what i call "talks". he can make sounds like a vocal plus consonant, linke "an" or "ang".
Last he did that, when I showed a cream I had to apply to s small wound on his leg.
Grunting is mostly disagreement or arguing with Nala.
Nala is mostly quiet, barking and wining is hers. She wines when very excited or stressed. Love this guys,
Nothing like a Chow or two :-)
Best regards
Pinoy51