Is this really a bear type or lion?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

arjhay012
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is this really a bear type or lion?

Post by arjhay012 »

i have this chow and when i bought it the seller said that it is a bear type ? but now that his 7mos old .. his nose looks longer than what i've usually seen in the internet when i seached some photos of a bear type chow ?

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is this really a bear type or lion?

Post by Cam Atis »

Dear Arjhay, nobody has a clue what the heck is lion type or bear type chows. I think you are from the Philippines as it is unique in ours to have our "own" classification when it comes to the breed. You must know, however, that worldwide, Chows are classified only as rough or smooth coat. The smooth having short coat.
Now be glad if what you have is the chow who has a long snout and thinner or rather skinnier appearance. More like a fox or a wolf with a mane. Because that kind has been bred out for so many decades that the chows of today doesn't look like the chows prior to 1920. that kind tends to be more active and has lesser or no medical issues as compared to the heavy boned and scrunchy face we know today.
I am looking for that kind of chow as that is my intention. To revert back.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is this really a bear type or lion?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

There is no "bear type" or "lion type". There's "open faced" and "closed faced"; rough coat and smooth coat.

The "open faced" chow, or old style chow, is what my past 2 chows, Cinder and Tippsy, were. The "closed faced" chow are the more wrinkled faced ones you see more often in the show ring.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix