General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

OMG!!! FIRST TIME!! :O

Post by camickey »

Ohmygaaaahd! :O

So this is why. Mochi was having his daily walk a while ago. We walked through with some people, so they asked me if he's a good dog. I told them he's okay sometimes. Then one of them petted him, that time I was so nervous that Mochi might bite him and they will say bad things about him. BUT NO! I was surprised that he didn't bite him. WAAAAA. So thanks to you guys! :'D

And one more thing, what I like about Mochi is, when we will walk through a bunch of dogs they would all bark at him nonstop. But Mochi will just sit and stare at them, without barking and whatsoever. I just think he's teasing them. :D
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: OMG!!! FIRST TIME!! :O

Post by Sarahloo »

camickey wrote: when we will walk through a bunch of dogs they would all bark at him nonstop. But Mochi will just sit and stare at them, without barking and whatsoever. I just think he's teasing them. :D
He has too much dignity to act like those dog losers! Loo's just like that!
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Wow that's really nice! :) great job to the both of you! It seems that Mochi is getting calm. :) he's not stepping down to those bad dogs' level. Lol. :P

Apollo, on the other hand, is afraid of our Persian cat. #-o he would chase her at first and when Lucille gets aggressive, he would step backward and eventually turn away from her. :cry:

Its good that you continue to socialize Mochi :) I hope you can come on Saturday. There will be a chow chow dog show in PCCI Activity Ctr in Marikina. :) Mochi and other chows can bond and have fun there. :)
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camickey »

Sarahloo wrote:
camickey wrote: when we will walk through a bunch of dogs they would all bark at him nonstop. But Mochi will just sit and stare at them, without barking and whatsoever. I just think he's teasing them. :D
He has too much dignity to act like those dog losers! Loo's just like that!
I think so too! He's like, "I'm not like you, I have a really good breed." hehehe :D
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

camickey wrote:Ohmygaaaahd! :O
Then one of them petted him, that time I was so nervous that Mochi might bite him and they will say bad things about him. BUT NO! I was surprised that he didn't bite him. WAAAAA. So thanks to you :D
I am glad you started to let people pet your chowpup. :D i wanna say: "see? I told you!". Nothing bad is gonna happen. Good start.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I am glad that Mochi is beginning to develop. Continue to work with him.
@Ylaartim, Malachi, my male chow, is afraid of Chelsea, our Persian cat. LOL
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our male chow is like that he could careless if another dog is barking at him out say at the dog park..He isnt a bad dog he just doesnt like to have people run up to him and just pet him..he is cautious thats all...never barks or growls just ducks his head....like dont touch me...lol...With us we can do anything to him..he gives us kisses all the time...he has been getting better with people which is good were happy about that...I really dont know tho how he would be with people coming in the house or our yard...he is a great watchdog...Him teamed up with Bear our Airedale thats a force i wouldnt want to mess with...Our female chow tho she is like the wallmart greater...Wags her tail at everyone PET me PET me...lol...funny how different the two are....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Nicely done Camickey, and keep it up. You really want to make sure Mochi meets all sorts of people. Old, young, in the middle. It makes a difference. I would also make sure that you control the contact. Instruct these new people, you tell them when its ok to touch your dog. I like training the dog into a sitting or down position, this will put the pup into a more accepting/submissive position. Make sure they approach from straight on from Mochi's view, you dont want them to pet him from extreme angles, from above, or behind. This will ensure he is not surprised by the contact and swing his head to see who's there. You should stand behind (cover me, they're coming in). The more comfortable you are, the better he will react.

Chows are notoriously aloof, call it snobby if you like. They definitely think they are better than other dogs. They know what to bark at and what is a waste of time and energy.

We were at a dog show this weekend (and you would expect some reasonably experienced dog people there), and after Rory finished showing, we walked the grounds and we repeatedly heard that Rory was the first 'friendly' Chow they had met. He always walks like he is a rockstar, but he had done well in Breed, and the people reacted to him like it as well. He just wagged his whole rear end and ate up the attention.

Again, keep up the good work. Changing Chow reps 1 dog at a time...
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Ursa's daddy wrote: @Ylaartim, Malachi, my male chow, is afraid of Chelsea, our Persian cat. LOL
What's with Persian cats, huh? Hahaha. Maybe because they seem so fierce! Rawr!
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camickey »

kitten1426 wrote:Wags her tail at everyone PET me PET me...lol...
Mochi is somewhat like that but if they will see him having his mouth open they will back out. :lol:
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Camickey, I replied to your PM. :) but not sure if you got it already. It keeps on moving to my outbox, not in the sentmessages. SMH :( anyway, lets talk! Hahaha! 09277039290 :) text me anytime!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

camickey wrote:
kitten1426 wrote:Wags her tail at everyone PET me PET me...lol...
Mochi is somewhat like that but if they will see him having his mouth open they will back out. :lol:

Yeah she is cute with that..she gives big chow kisses too...takes your whole arm in and sucks on it...Some people think she is getting ready to bite them we laugh no no she is kissing you...Kodi our Male chow never does that not even to us...He is a Big BOY...i think he scares people sometimes but he is sweet...Some people just want to come hug him OH look a bear....lol....Then we say No thats Bear the Airedales name is Bear....Kodi is short for Kodiack Bear.... :D
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Step in the right direction. :) I personally find chows are less likely to bark, they tend to save it and do it when it matters. My chows growing up were like this and my chow mix is the same. My little yorkie/pom will be yapping his head off and Rolyx still won't. He may do what I lovingly call the 'chow snort,' but it's very rare he'll let off a bark.