How Do Their Teeth Look Like?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sharpman
Rank 0
Rank 0

How Do Their Teeth Look Like?

Post by sharpman »

Yo, hi guyz. I am new in this forum and am very interested in the chow chow's teeth anatomy. Cuz, I hav read that thier teeth are not aligned like that of other dogs since they were not fed the same thing as other dog brreds. So, yo, I would love to have some information on these creatures teeth and perhaps some pics... I am personally doing a research on their teeth... Very Interested. Call me SharpMan or Jerome

Hope to receive suffiecent information on this topic.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

This is from the AKC site that has a full description of the standard for Chows.

Teeth strong and even with a scissors bite.

Here is the URL for the AKC site:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/chow_chow/index.cfm

And I found this site with pictures of what a correct scissors bite looks like:

http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/ortho ... ontics.htm

Here's what the explaination:

The normal bite of dogs and cats with medium or long length and width muzzles is called a scissors bite. The upper incisors are located in front of the lower incisors when the mouth is closed, and there is a smooth curve from canine to canine without misplaced or rotated teeth. The lower canines should lie exactly between the upper lateral incisors and upper canines, yet touching neither. Premolar crown tips should point to a space between the crowns of the opposing premolars.

If you read all this, it shows that Chows have the same bite as many other breeds. Or at least should have. These are of course the adult teeth, puppy teeth will be a little different.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Just wondering, Sharpman, do you own a ChowChow or have plans to? Wondering why their teeth would be of such interest. Something related to school perhaps?
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Jerome,
I think I am right in saying that chow chows have two more teeth than other dogs.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

sharpman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sharpman »

Umm, it is just that I am planning to have one and my friend's which is a adoscelent puppy, 6-10 mths I think, had not been eating with the teeth like all dropped, only molars and the front incisors. The rest are empty. So, I was helping him do research when I found this site. So, I would love any help as to why it had no teeth and why when it eats, it only eat soft and not hard food, which I think is related to the teeth. Hope to receive your reply. Yo, Jerome.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

If you're not exactly sure how old the pup is, he's probably just teething. The tiny sharp baby teeth get pushed out by the much larger adult teeth, and it's painful. You can give him some teething chews chilled in the freezer.
Nanaz2003
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: o am having the same inquiry did the puppy ever acquire all his teeth mi es is a year old and it's still just the ba

Post by Nanaz2003 »

sharpman wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:55 pm Umm, it is just that I am planning to have one and my friend's which is a adoscelent puppy, 6-10 mths I think, had not been eating with the teeth like all dropped, only molars and the front incisors. The rest are empty. So, I was helping him do research when I found this site. So, I would love any help as to why it had no teeth and why when it eats, it only eat soft and not hard food, which I think is related to the teeth. Hope to receive your reply. Yo, Jerome.