my chow's tongue looks like this

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

arjhay012
Rank 0
Rank 0

my chow's tongue looks like this

Post by arjhay012 »

hi there fellas! I've attached here a link that shows my chow's tongue.. it appears that most part of my chow's tongue is blackish purple but there are parts that seems to be in color pink. does this mean that my chow is a non pure breed and has mixed breed or it is normal since he is still a puppy .. i'll appreciate each of your response .. thanks in advance ! *cheers* !

here is the link: http://tinypic.com/r/308k3o7/5
or try the direct link of the image: http://tinypic.com/r/308k3o7/5
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: my chow's tongue looks like this

Post by Sirchow »

Helo and welcome to you and your baby. I would love to see more photos of your baby and to hear more about him.
A recent post covered this but I think the general thoughts were that chows gums and tongue darken with age. You dont say how old your puppy is but he looks quite young so I would think his tongue will most probably darken as he grows up. Izzies - my black chow still had pink on her tongue at six months but it is all gone now.
Here is the previous thread.
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 2uABNUuAbY
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Chow Chow are born with pink tongues that darken with age. Sometimes they develop spots; my five-year-old's is spotted as well, and he is purebred with a pedigree going back generations. Judging by the looks of it, I would say his tongue will remain spotted.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'd say from the picture that his tongue will probably remain spotted. But he is very young and I could be wrong. Doesn't really matter unless you were planning on showing/breeding him.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, still young, they are still is baby teeth, and his fur hasnt come in...going to guess between 3 and 4 months. They could darken up, but spots as compared to sections (like say the roof of the mouth) are a bit funny...sometimes it does, sometimes not.

Definitely is NOT a sign that he is anything but purebred. Based on the photo, he looks full Chow. As Victory pointed out, a pink inside the mouth is only a disqualification for show dogs. Even if it stays, he may be good for pet breeding, just not to continue/start a CH lineage.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

It is a serious fault or disqualication in the show ring, the more pink spots, the less likely it will all disappear as the dog age give your pup omega 3 supplement/vitamins to further speed up the natural process of tongue turning dark. If you have a pedigree certificate and no paper switching or similar anomaly has happened, then it will be an assurance your dog is purebreed. If you dont have papers then it is quesionable no matter how chow-like your chow looks like (why would you get a chow with no papers?)

More indication of pure breed standing is the predictable temperament and behaviour of the breed. Read more in this site.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Cam- every dog needs a home ;) And its nice to see chows not abandoned in pounds, because we know they don't fair well there most of the time. Ty technically doesn't really have papers being registered through CKC and it was a risk, but he's happy and healthy at a year old already and I didn't pay too awful much for him. Hopefully, people who do buy puppies (not from rescues) from someone without papers it's from a good healthy and loving family and not a back yard breeder looking for money. There are some out there. Their ours and we love them just the same :)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Sorry about that Ty, it's just that I believe one must not produce some pups and pass it as pure to some unsuspecting buyers. I also am against "backyard breeders" most of you says not to patronize. These backyard breeders would produce mutts or mixes and well, that's why in the USA they have resulted in over population of dogs. I happen to be NOT one of them and I used to bred for quality Dals. My output is shameful, I'd breed once or twice a year and if only the stud is of good breed conformation and are PCCI registered and most pups will have homes even before they are born.
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

You just got the best breed in the world I wouldn't care if my little bears young was pink,green blu or orange.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Wrong construction: I dont breed twice a year. What i mean was I used to bred EVERY TWO YEARS or once a year! :-) sorry. English is not my native tongue.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

arjhay012 wrote:does this mean that my chow is a non pure breed and has mixed breed or it is normal since he is still a puppy
I have to agree with Cam Atis!
Why do people keep asking this question? Why don't you know if your dog is a purebred or not? Didn't you ask the breeder a million questions about his parents and grandparents and great-grandparents? Didn't you buy your puppy from a trustworthy breeder who could be trusted enough for you not to doubt that the Chow puppy you've been sold is actually a Chow puppy? Don't buy a puppy from people that you can trust as far as you can throw them! Spend more money/do more research or just adopt a shelter dog whose life is in danger!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

It's very likely your pups tongue could darken up more. But either way, I don't think it means he's a mix.

My boy IS a mix (with lab) and when I got him (rescued from the streets as a puppy) his tongue was all pink except 1 small spot on the back of his tongue. And now, it'd MOSTLY purple with just a LITTLE bit of pink.

(The earliest pic I really have of his tongue; 10-12 weeks old)

(2 months later)

(8 months later; around 1 year old)

(2 years old)

( Now; this pic is obviously from Christmas but it's the best I've got from recently)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

You reside in the Philippines? Then it shouldn't be too difficult to trace your chow's line and ask the breeder questions on its lineage if you are worried you purchased a non-pure breed chow. As others have pointed out, it is only a concern if you are planning to show him in the future. Personally, I find the bits of pink in a chowling's tongue marks a sign of a great athlete! My Tiggy had a pink *V* on his tongue when he was a chowling and he is top notch at "go get it!" (aka "fetch" to nonchows). If he didn't come with papers, just go back to his breeder and ask to see where his family originated from.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Cam Atis wrote:Sorry about that Ty, it's just that I believe one must not produce some pups and pass it as pure to some unsuspecting buyers. I also am against "backyard breeders" most of you says not to patronize. These backyard breeders would produce mutts or mixes and well, that's why in the USA they have resulted in over population of dogs. I happen to be NOT one of them and I used to bred for quality Dals. My output is shameful, I'd breed once or twice a year and if only the stud is of good breed conformation and are PCCI registered and most pups will have homes even before they are born.
Cam Atis--most of the overpopulation of pets in the US do NOT come from mutts or mixes. It comes from puppy mills and some back yard breeders who just breed for profit. A lot of the dogs in rescues, shelters and such are purebred. In one state last year, Georgia 136 pure bred papered chows were dumped at the side of a busy road, 4 were killed by cars. These weren't old chows past their breeding age, many were young, many were puppies even and a few were young females who have since given birth, (they were pregnant). We have a lot of mutts true, but most of them come from people dumping pure breeds and then the pure breeds mate as nature intended, repeatedly. The pet overpopulation problem in this country is many faceted and has many people working on it from all angles. But a lot of it is caused by money. You'll see on here that one thing none of us want to see is a Chow winning best of show at Westminister, that normally spells disaster for the breed. Watch during the next year there will be an upsurge in the number of Peks abandoned at shelters.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hi all, we have drifted off topic somewhat, but I do feel like committing on Victory's point. Over the years, I have adopted many pure bred animals from shelters or rescue groups. Several Siamese cats, a Persian, a Himalayan, a Maine Coon cat, my two chows, a rat terrier, and a Siberian Husky. People like cute, and unfortunately, cute grows up. People are not prepared to deal with adult animals. It is a shame, but it is true.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Your dog's tongue will probably darken as the dog ages. Your dog still has his baby teeth, and he is light in color, so it may take a while for his tongue to fully darken. If you are in to showing or breeding, a defect such as a spotted tongue would be a problem. Of course, none of that really matters if what your really want is someone to love and to love you.
[Sorry, but I just had to post this link to Queen - Somebody To Love] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quMlRhlVR3I

That is the reason I have my dogs and cats.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wow...i posted a new answer on this but it didnt seem to make it...it almost exactly mirrored Ursa's post...it does seem we have gone off topic here.

A pink colored tongue, or spotting does not, repeat NOT mean that the dog is not a full bred Chow. It is a recessive gene in the chow, and while not desirable for showing or future breeding, does not definitively indicate that the pup is anything less than 100% Chow.

That being said, it would disqualify the dog from showing for a Championship, and probably would limit the dog from future breeding for anything other than companion dogs (not such a bad thing).

Now, i will contest Victory's point about Westminster. I do want to see a Chow win. Of course that would be my Chow. I dont expect it, but it would be nice. BTW, i have owned Peke's way back in the day, and I hated the winner...horrible coloring, and it walked like a dust mop, doubt that one will encourage much new interest in the breed.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

If Arjhay resides in the Philippines, yes it is fairly easy to know if the pup is pedigreed or not.
arjhay012
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arjhay012 »

sorry for the late reply..
btw,

@Sirchow thx for the welcome! :D sorry i didn't mentioned that my puppy is only 14week old ..

@Cam Atis - ok here's how i got my baby chow .. before we got our pup me and my GF are planning to buy a puppy without thinking a particular breed and then one day we just stop by to a petshop just to look around and see a baby chow ! my gf wants it so badly because he was so cute and cudly so we decided to buy it immediately .. so we dont have a chance to ask if our baby was purebred or something.. we just realized it a day after :D and about the papers? the seller offers us less than the original price of my chow but the papers are not included? we don't have plans onx breeding or whatever you call that to our baby Oreo (the name of our chow) so we accepted the offer. we just want to take care of the pup and treat it very very well not as a dog but also part of our family .. :) i admit that as of now i have no idea on purebreed dogs and how to distiguish it and sadly i bought one without asking an advice to those who have the knowledge .. btw, thanks for ur response .. i appreciate it :D sorry for a long story LOL

@Jdcell100 - thumbs up for that ! :D

@Tippsy'smom - wow! ur dog is soooo cute! ive seen the pictures and yeah it shows that the spots became bigger as it grows .. :) thx ..

to others who also replies to this thread thanks! cheers!

and yes SIR/MAM im from the Philippines! :D
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I am also from Phils. I bought Cassie from a breeder last Feb for 16,500 pesos. She got papers and 7 red marks on her pedigree certif as I have already transferred her under my name with PCCI (Phil. canine Club inc).
Pet store chows if with paper costs 35,000 but on the Sulit.com non papered chows cost 9,000 meanwhile registered pups costS at least 16,000 for a male and 18,000 for a female. Chow pup sired by champions costs 35,000 up. Those are breeder's price. So I guess, you paid for Oreo not less than 9,000. I would even bet it is the same cost as Cassie 16,500. I was almost tempted to buy 9,000 non papered chow from breeder (online) but then sense came in and I better pay extra for a pedigreed pup because I want a chow's traits and be sure 99.99%
Anyway, if you love him just the same, it makes no difference. You can learn a lot from this site regarding some chow behaviours.
In our country it is fairly easy to register papered pups. They dont register because the parents or one parent is nOt pedigreed.
Welcome to CC.org