looking for a bit of advice about a neglected chow

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

looking for a bit of advice about a neglected chow

Post by BeckiHutton »

At a pub in my town center, there is a chow who lives in one of the pubs. She is a really sweet , lovely little girl. She is actually the reason we got a chow in the first place. I saw her recently, and her fur is soo matted. She clearly is never groomed. Rumor is, she's had bad fleas recently too. She is never taken out anywhere, and I very rarely see her in the beer garden haven't seen her in months. (My partner saw her the other day, which is how I know she is matted). The owner is a bit of a nutter apparently, but I want to do the right thing for this beautiful girl and get her the care she desperately needs. I want to report them to the rspca, but I don't know the chances of anything being done, and I an scared that it will cone back on me. So... should I, or shouldn't I, report them? Thanks guys
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: looking for a bit of advice about a neglected chow

Post by Piff Poff »

I once reported my next door neighbour for neglecting her cat to the RSPCA. The cat was picked up the next day and taken to Wood Green. Report these people. The RSPCA is fantastic.
Thank you Sweatpea
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

I work quite closely with the SPCA in my home town - and often report suspected case of negligence / abuse etc.
Even if you're not sure, the inspectors will go there just to check it out. Its often we assume the worse straight away, but its better to have someone go check it out in any case :)
Good Luck!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

They will most likely try to work with the owners first and then check back but keep an eye and if things dont improve ring them again. Good luck. It isn't nice to have to do that but I have rung them before....cant say they were too helpful when I did but it is the best place to start.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

The RSPCA do not tell who contacted them - they do keep a confidence and also they will report back to you and tell you what they found.
I contacted them a good while ago about a dog I knew was being ill treated and they came and took the dog away. As the house was in the same avenue - just a few houses away, they did not call to see me but telephoned me and thanked me for telling them.
So I would suggest you contact them. At best they will talk to the people and at worst they will take the poor girl away and look after her.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I'm just going to add my two cents, as devils advocate, for whatever it's worth ...

We got called on the winter before Kimba passed away because she was rather matted on her hinds. Joe's grooming method was not the greatest and he was waiting until spring when she blew her coat where the matts would loosen for him to groom more freely. It was more painful for her to groom her at that point. Animal Control came out, checked her living situation and skin, smiled a cheeky smile and said, "I've seen worse. She seems fine." We felt had "whomever" just called US to ask what was going on, we would have felt less embarrassed and saved Animal Control the stop. Kimba was not being mistreated, she was well fed and well loved. WE had a plan of action. Perhaps the neighbor who called didn't like that she sat on the porch 14 hours a day, in the middle of winter. But that was where she liked it and we were very careful to bring her in if it was too cold or if she showed any sign of stress (red ears, runny nose, frigid temps). Had the folks really cared for US and our situation (most folks in town knew that I had lost my job) they could have stopped by and asked if we were doing okay, needed help, etc. Instead, they took the chickens way out instead of investing in us personally.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but I'm still a bit bitter about the whole thing, small town living and all. Anyway, Becki ... you're the sweetest person and I appreciate your concern for this dog. I know you'll do the right thing and I also appreciate all the encouragement from the fine folks who post here at cc.org. I have a lot of respect for all those who have posted thus far. I just wish, if it were possible, without negative ramifications to you or your family or reputation, that perhaps you could inquire about the dog instead? Perhaps there is a reason. Perhaps they need help or don't realize they need help. I don't know. Perhaps I should have said nothing here ... I'm still debating about deleting my post ... but I just wish people would invest in people rather than jumping right to the authorities ... I'm going to shut up right now because I probably said too much already.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Don't be silly marti, I appreciate your post. And everybody else's. The reason I won't go and speak to them is because they would take it completely the wrong way. I don't know them personally, but they have a bit of a reputation in our town for not taking to kindly to people trying to interfere. I don't know the dog's full situation, I haven't seen her in a long time, so I can't say if she looks skinny or underfed. They don't let her out much anymore, so nobody really gets to see her. Rob didn't really get a proper look at her. I will try to do some more investigating before I make a decision. Whenever in in town I look to see if she is there but she isn't. Perhaps I will go in there one day for a drink and see what happens. Thanks guys for all your advice!!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thanks, Becki. THAT is a different situation, indeed. If you already know it's an exercise in futility to talk to the owner, then the RSPCA really is your only choice, for the sake of the dog and to send the right message to the owner, nutty or not. I'm glad you got what I was talking about.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

cherriemater wrote:Thanks, Becki. THAT is a different situation, indeed. If you already know it's an exercise in futility to talk to the owner, then the RSPCA really is your only choice, for the sake of the dog and to send the right message to the owner, nutty or not. I'm glad you got what I was talking about.
And you have to also remember that the RSPCA is much different than the ASPCA, which sometimes acts more in their own political/media interests than any animals.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I do believe it's going to depend on what you find and how much you trust your RSPCA to do. Further investigation on your part (as long as the dog isn't way worse off than that) I think is advisable. I had a "friend" whose living situation was...terrible...and they did nothing about it. Like, she had 10 cats running around unfixed for example, so they kept having kittens with each other or whatever other cat they came acrossed in the neighborhood, they sometimes couldn't afford to feed them, and they let them go to the bathroom wherever and never cleaned it up. Their whole dining room was a litterbox! Needless to say, the ASPCA and Children Youth Services were contacted as there were three children in the house, her son included only a toddler, and they didn't take the cats away or anything. They had also got a puggle at one point who they couldn't house train for whatever reason, probably because of the cats, and her mother's boyfriend beat the crap out of her on several occasions...they still did nothing after they got reported. Dog was eventually given away I think or dropped off at the shelther with some cats. So if you find that the dog is in terrible condition due to true neglegance and the RSPCA will do something about it (and if necessary rehome the gal and not have her put down due to too many animals at the shelter or her breed) go for it!
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Hi Becki,

I think the idea of "just stopping in for a drink" is a good idea. My thought is "the sooner you go, the better. That way,hopefully, you will be able to get a first-hand look at the poor dear and this will give you more info to go on.

You go girl!

My thoughts are with you and bless you for being concerned about her.

Please keep us posted.

Pam
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I went in there last night hoping to see her, but her owners weren't there :( so I didn't details to see her