Do your Pet Loves Travel?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

alangrylls55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Do your Pet Loves Travel?

Post by alangrylls55 »

Just curious about how the pets react to travel. Well I have Labrador and he just love to travel actually when ever we plan to go some place he is the first one standing near car to get in. he just loves to see new places. what do you think does your pet love traveling.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Do your Pet Loves Travel?

Post by JasonandNat »

Both of ours love to travel. We take them on every vacation every year. Camping is their favorite past time. Last year they got to try the ocean and loved every minute. We make extra stops though for water and potty breaks. ;)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep, my two love to travel as well. In fact all my chows have loved to "go with Mom" You do have to give them potty breaks though on longer trips.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ty LOVES to travel and "go for rides". He knows the difference between us going for a walk or a ride when I pick up my purse, keys, and the leash. He was terrified of the car at first since that was his first experience with us. But, I coaxed him and took him many many good places. Now he loves it.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki would juMp in the back of the SUV and we,d travel sometimes 9hrs or more and not a peep. we'd make pitstops but other than that not a peep, a few times I'd say to Bob "We did put Nikki back in right" and we'd both look back. Our other chow mix was good too but as a pup she got car sick so we had to wean her into car rides but she finally was okay and she did like the car too. But Nikki would get all excited when we told her gitty up, that meant a car ride.
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaysa »

Muñeco loves to travel, whe he knows we're going somewhere in the car he goes to the bathroom :p and then sit himself in front of the car door :D
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Our Kimba would prefer to be in the car (even during a cold winter day) than stuck in the house by herself. She never peed in the car and loved to have the back window cracked (even in the dead of winter). Always had water and food stashed in the car for her and brought it out if we would be "inside" for longer periods of time (like during church).

Now, Leo and Max ALSO love to go for rides. Leo can jump right into the truck while Max needs a bit of assistance but I think that will change as he gets taller. With the boys being only five months old, we take breaks more often than we had to with Kimba. If you're just getting your pup started with trips in the car just be patient and remember that everything they experience will be a new one and they will need understanding. The more trips they go on, the better they will be (I speak this to myself as well). We just took the boys to Pigeon for the first time and it was ALL NEW. It took them about two hours to quiet down after all the new smells they were smelling, sticks they could bite and places to roam. Each new trip will help them be more at ease and more quickly. So again, patience is a benefit.

Have fun ... that's the most important. And be ready for the STARES, COMPLIMENTS and OO's & AH'S ... we get lots of them. :D
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

cherriemater wrote:Have fun ... that's the most important. And be ready for the STARES, COMPLIMENTS and OO's & AH'S ... we get lots of them. :D
That'a the part that always amuses me; my two will be SO interested in something and people want to stop them and pet them etc, while they look at the person and seem to say, "oh, yeah, I see you, you're a human, nice to meet ya. But what is THAT over there, it's way more interestin'n than a human."
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Both of my pups, and my late girl, Tippsy love/loved to travel. Jasper gets a little anxious at first, but he calms down and sleeps the rest of the time.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

A ride in the van is just great, even if it is to the vet's. Savannah to Gulfport was 600 miles, and they made the trip several times. I would of course stop several times, and they would speak up if they needed to stop. Now I did get everyone used to the van by first going out and getting in and then out. Later I would start the engine and we would just sit there. Finally we would make short trips around town.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Whitby loves to ride in the car. If you are familiar with her story, she is a rescue that "Santa Paws" relayed to me via a road trip in December. Her road trip that day was 11 hours in total. I picked her up near Toledo, Ohio and drove back to Butler, Pa with her sitting in the back seat and looking out the windows all the way hoome. A lady at one of the toobooths even gave her a treat.

She gets excited when I pick up my keys and head towards the Entry door. Whenever possible, I try to take her with me so she can get a change of scenery. I have a three year old granddaughter, so I have a child's carseat on the passenger side of the back seat and a quilt on the rest of the seat. I open the back door on the driver's side and simply say "Up" snd she jumps up onto the seat. She likes to look ou the window on the passenger side - sh she stands facing that window with her front paws in the child's carseat. Sometimes she'll sit in the middle of the back seat and sticks her head and shoulders between the two front seats. Needless to say we get some double-takes from people in other cars as we are driving along.

Parking lots are a lot of fun. I'll leave her in the car while I run a short errands. I like to watch people walk by my car and do a double-take when they see a big, red, fluffy dog sitting in the back seat or looking out the window at them.

Happy Motoring
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa loves the car, if I pick up my purse after I put her leash on she knows it is car ride, not walk, and she just can't get there fast enough. It doesn't matter where we are going, the vet, groomers, park, pet store or just to drive around the block. She just sits in the passenger seat looking out the window and I swear most of the time (if it is anywhere we have been before) she can tell where we are going by the direction I take.