Eating its own poop...

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Eating its own poop...

Post by trry »

Hello,
I read it somewhere on this forum but I forgot where and I tried using the search feature on top for poop and feces and came up blank. So I was wondering what type of mineral or vitamins causes my chow to eat poop? It happened this morning and I tried to stop him but he always went back for more and continue to dig into the leaves for more.

He recently came over a diarrhea which is probably causing him to want the poop. I tried to giving him gatorade to replenish lost nutrients and I've been giving him 1 of these each day..

he needs Help!.. anyone?

BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Eating its own poop...

Post by BeckiHutton »

I saw on a program once, that sometimes a bananna will help... It could be that he is not getting enough potassium... Please stop giving him those sweets you have been giving to him, they have faar too much sugsar on them, and really won't do him any good. You coud even take him to thee vets, they might be able to help you more??
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I've also just noticed, it looks like his fur is falling out of his front legs... It may just be the camera or lighting, but if it is, that is NOT a sign of a healthy chow, and you should get it checked right away
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

I just check the picture. It when his paws are moist from either him licking his paws or my wiping them down after in the backyard. Let me take a picture of him now after I blow dry them.

EDIT:
It looks like the undercoat that is still black which give the illusion of the claw... but tell me what you think.

since I was taking picture here is some more! =]

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

poop eating is generally a sign that his food isnt being fully digested. review what kind of food he is eating. chows are very sensitive in this area. make sure that it is natural (beef, chicken, liver, etc) in its primary ingredients....avoid anything that lists a filler 1st (grain, byproducts, etc). if the diet is ok, then there are additives that can address the issue. i am not familiar with the product pictured, but it lists 'kid approved', so i am not sure it would be good for your pup.

as or the coat, i cant tell from the pictures, but it appears to be a moisture issue. drying is a great idea. pay attention to the mane under his jaws...my Rory is a sloppy drinker and its important to brush and dry the fur, they can actually develop mold if not maintained properly.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Yeah, started yesterday. I put him on Orijen Puppy large breed kibbles. I will see how he goes on it and I will try to entice him with plain yogurt and cottage cheese in it. =]

Eating the poop tho it seems that he is eating a stray cat's poop and it is impossible to stop the cats coming in since the way my fence are designed which small animals can get in and larger ones can't. Suggestion on preventing unwanted animals coming in?
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Ok, so in attempts trying to remedy the poop eating. I am feeding him a small dinner and a big breakfast so he wont be so inclined to eat poop when he goes out. Problem now is that he refuses to eat his entire breakfast given this is only day 1 of his new diet any suggestion to make him finish his plate of food?

Thanks!