Blood in stool

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

paulz01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blood in stool

Post by paulz01 »

Hi everyone, I have 1 year old chow, and today i noticed blood in her stool. The consistency looks like diarrhea. I panicked and thought it was parvo but upon researching online i think it might be because of parasites.

Or is there any other cause? please help

Treatment: Should I take her to the vet and run some tests? or buy dewormers right away? (if it is in fact worms)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Blood in stool

Post by Sarahloo »

Take a fresh stool sample in to be tested!!!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Blood in stool

Post by Merlin »

I'd worry more about Parvo if your chow was just a young puppy , say 6-10 weeks old. At one year old, it's not likely that your dog has Parvo. It's not impossible, but it's really no likely.

Are there any other symptoms?

Because dogs discover their world through their mouths, if it's fresh red blood, it could be he/she simply picked up some, "thing" which irritated his bowels. It could be from a food change, or some other irritant. If your dog is eating and drinking regularly, you can monitor it for a day or two and see if it persists. It's really not all that uncommon, especially if you see a fair amount of mucous with it.

If it's dark, dry, coppery coloured blood, then yes, consult with a vet immediately.

Best of luck
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!