DROP EARS

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

marckyboi26
Rank 0
Rank 0

DROP EARS

Post by marckyboi26 »

I have a problem for my chow MOOCHY, she have drop ears,she is already 3months, what is the problem having a drop ears?? is there any possibility when it become fully erect ears?
marckyboi26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: DROP EARS

Post by marckyboi26 »

no sir,but I want him to have erect ears,because almost of all chows have erect ears,is there any possibility that her ears will erect?
Kurosbuddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kurosbuddy »

My parents have an ancient chow whose ears never came up. We think it makes him look extra cute! The only issue is that he is much more prone to ear infections. His previous owners (he is a rescue) didn't take proper care of his ears and the resulting scar tissue from repeated infections has left him deaf :(

Katie
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

I'm not sure if they'll come up now that your pup is 12 weeks. Someone with more experience could probably shed more light on that. Trimming some hair on the ears might help to take some weight off.

Otherwise, it will just be a cosmetic issue. I'm sure your pup is still quite cute :) Did both parents have standing ears?
marckyboi26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marckyboi26 »

The parents of my chow have erect ears, she is very cute, but I am scared if she became deaf, I wish there are possibilities that her ears will erect^_^
Kurosbuddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kurosbuddy »

Drop ears alone shouldn't result in deafness or any hearing impairment. You just have to be a tad more vigilant about ear infections... as with any down-eared dog.
:D
Katie
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

There have been some late bloomers who have ears that haven't stood up fully until they wer 14-16 weeks but that is rare. Does she try to stand them up at all, one at a time? They have to "learn" how to stand their ears up and normally it's one or the other for a while then both come up and stay up. If there is no scarring in the cartiledge of her ears, (something that can happen at birth) then she might not be geting enough vitamins and minerals, to allow the cartiledge to harden as it should. Calcium and vitamin D, (same as for teeth and bones) are what make the cartiledge strong. If there is scarring, (ridges or weak areas) then her ears may never stand up.

If this is the case then you will have to watch for dirt staying in her ears, (this is something that should be watched in all chows anyway because their thick fur can trap dirt and bacteria and cause ear infections) Get a good ear cleaner and get her used to having her ears cleaned. I clean my chows ears whenever I groom them, we brush, comb, check nails, clean tear stains, (Firesong) and clean ears. Then they get a trick. One good way to get them to accept ear cleaning is to use your thumbs to give them ear massages whenever you pet them. Use the flat of your thumb and lift the flap of her ears, and then massage the base of her ear from the inside, she'll even lean into it after a bit. Then get some makeup removers, the little square cotton kind, saturate it with ear cleaning fluid, and hold it in your hand to warm it a bit, then wrap it around your thumb and do the massage thing, she might try to back up as the fluid runs into her ear, but don't let her. after you've cleaned her ears, wipe off the excess fluid and dirt with a clean cotton square. She'll never LOVE the real cleaning, but I've found this method at least allows them to tolerate the procedure pretty well.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
marckyboi26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marckyboi26 »

As I look to her ears,its keep moving if she want it,but she cant stand it at all, my friend said that I should tape her ears that her ears will erect, it is really true??
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

marckyboi26 wrote:As I look to her ears,its keep moving if she want it,but she cant stand it at all, my friend said that I should tape her ears that her ears will erect, it is really true??
Nope, it's not true. And it won't do anything but annoy her. Like I said this is probably a cartiledge, (the soft bone like substance that the ear flaps are made of) issue. It's either weak, too thin or scarred, in which case her ears will not stand up...no big deal take a look at Tippy's mom's Jasper, he's a chow/lab cross, so his ears don't stand up and he's the cutest thing.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Our boy Bruin had one drop ear until he was about 4 months old.. then one day it just popped up on its own! Maybe this is the case with your chow baby.

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.