Mane stays wet and smelly!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zeus & Simba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mane stays wet and smelly!!

Post by Zeus & Simba »

hi, my 6 month old chow gets a wet mane when she drinks water. i have bowls with narrow openings but she dribbles a lot and her mane stays wet.

how do you keep the mane dry? I am getting worried that because it has very little time to dry out even though the groomer thinned it out and i do my best too but it is always still wet. I don't want her getting a bacterial infection or skin problem in the area.

any idea how to keep her mane dry?

Thanks!
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Mane stays wet and smelly!!

Post by Hugo »

Hi
My boy has the same problem and when he was about 5 or 6 mnths he did get an infection there and the vet shaved the area and I had to put cream on it and Hugo had to takeantibiotics aswell. So after that, I invested in a pair of clippers and every few months I shave it down, not to the skin, but much shorter and this has helped, doesn't take so long to dry and it has illiminated the smell too. Hope this helps.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

They have bibs for them. Some of the folks on here with show chows who dribble use them since a show chow can't be shaved down or thinned. The bibs are like baby ones, for older babies. Folks with drooly type dogs also use them, (St. Bernards, Newfies etc, drool a lot)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I clip a small kitchen towel on my girl to help her mane not get wet or dirty with drips of food bits. I use a small potato chip clip to secure the ends together. I also buy and use "bibsters" the large size and cost about $5 for a pack of 30. They are disposable bibs for children/toddlers and I cut slashes on the bibs so it fits her comfortable. I buy the bibsters from Babies-r-us. However, I think you can find them in any big box store or supermarket chain.