I HATE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T CONTROL THEIR DOGS!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

I HATE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T CONTROL THEIR DOGS!

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tonight when I took Tip and Jazz for their walkie, there were a lot of other people out walking their dogs. One woman had a HUGE mix breed dog and two golden retriever puppies. The huge one was off leash and completely ignored Tip and Jazz, the puppies just wanted to play. They were so cute. :lol: When we were finally on our way back home, we crossed the street because there was a guy walking a little bichion and the stupid dog decided it wanted to pick a fight with Tippsy and Jasper! The guy had it on one of those retractable leashes and locked it to keep it from going out into the street and he dropped the leash! :shock: :evil: :-x That stupid little dog charged across the road, almost got hit by a car, and got in my pairs faces! I had to grab their collars to keep them under control while this stupid guy took his sweet @$$ time gettig over to get his dog! I resisted the urge to punt that dog back across the street. That kind of crap irritates the hound out of me! I mean how friggin hard is it to control a friggin 9 lb dog!?

And then not 5 minutes later we had to cross the road again trying to avoid this kid with a pitbull... Of course the kid being of middle school(junior high) age lost control of the dog and it charged us too! I swear, I just give up on trying to walk my dogs in my neighborhood. :evil: If thee people can't control their dogs, they shouldn't be walking them... much less owning them. :-x

Sorry for my rant, I'm just really irritated with these things always happening. This on top of being sick just isn't doing me any good.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: I HATE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T CONTROL THEIR DOGS!

Post by hayleedog »

awwww, sorry you had a rough go of it. I agree 100% about people controlling their pooches. A copuple of weeks ago I was walking Murphy, my 5lb pom (this was before I got hannah) and we passed a house that had 2 pitts in the fenced back yard, I didn't think much about it as they were fenced and their owner was in the yard with them, well we passed the house and was at the corner about a half block away waiting to cross the street when I heard simutaniously a yell and the running paws on pavement. I turned and caught a flash of white and swung murphy up by the leash on his harness just as one dog jumped at him.

I was not happy but I was thankful the guy was finally able to get his dogs under control and they went home. But it still baffles me why he would have opened the gate just as we were walking by when his dogs are obviously not pet friendly.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

That's scary. I don't understand why he would open the gate either...?

My mom was walking our yorkie, Max, and our chihuahua, Lil Bit, back in August and they were passing by a group of 3 people with 5 dogs. The pitbull in the group broke it's collar and attacked Lil Bit. She had a huge puncture in her chest. Now she's afraid of all dogs bigger than her, including Max, Tippsy and Jasper.

But I learned a long time ago it's not just the dogs out and about that you have to worry about. Back when I was in the 4th grade, we had a 6 lb pomeranian named Dusty. My mom let he, our poodle, Coco, and Tippsy out into the backyard, not knowing there was a mastiff/pitbull mix running loose. That dog jumped into our backyard and killed Dusty. :cry: I'll never forgive the owners of that dog for letting him run loose in the neighborhood.
Jess
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

We have a similar problem going on in our neighborhood at the moment, and with Julie still not comfortable with any dog other than a chow, I want to talk to the people. But how does one go about saying, "You are an idiot to let your dog out the front door to roam around the neighborhood jumping at other dogs and people. Stop letting your dog run free!" without pissing your neighbor off?

Last time the dog chased Julie right out of her collar, but my good little girl ran towards the nearest puddle out of the dogs way and waited for me to come get her. We were really pleased that she was able to get somewhere she felt safe and just waited for me to come put her collar on (huge progress for her) but what if a car had been driving by and spooked her!

Which brings up another question, why is she so scared of any dog that is not a Chow? She will walk right up to a Chow but gets so nervous around any other breed, even the tinniest? I wish we knew more Chows in our area...
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

You poor thing. I had our neighbours dog come through our fence it's wrought iron with gaps about 10cm apart, the jack russell came through and attacked my then 14 yr old persian cat, who now has a metal plate in his leg after I spend $3000.00 to fix him. That dog wouldn't want to come in now that I have my Chow patrolling. I know it's so frustrating when you do the right thing.
Michelle
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

aware wrote:We have a similar problem going on in our neighborhood at the moment, and with Julie still not comfortable with any dog other than a chow, I want to talk to the people. But how does one go about saying, "You are an idiot to let your dog out the front door to roam around the neighborhood jumping at other dogs and people. Stop letting your dog run free!" without pissing your neighbor off?

Last time the dog chased Julie right out of her collar, but my good little girl ran towards the nearest puddle out of the dogs way and waited for me to come get her. We were really pleased that she was able to get somewhere she felt safe and just waited for me to come put her collar on (huge progress for her) but what if a car had been driving by and spooked her!

Which brings up another question, why is she so scared of any dog that is not a Chow? She will walk right up to a Chow but gets so nervous around any other breed, even the tinniest? I wish we knew more Chows in our area...
I don't think there is a way to be nice about it, but I don't really see a point in being nice about it when there is a leash law and that also means they're supposed to hang on to the leash.

I'm glad Julie didn't run far when she got loose from her collar. Tippsy would've been LONG gone.

I don't know why it is that she's so scared of other dogs though.

Hugo wrote:You poor thing. I had our neighbours dog come through our fence it's wrought iron with gaps about 10cm apart, the jack russell came through and attacked my then 14 yr old persian cat, who now has a metal plate in his leg after I spend $3000.00 to fix him. That dog wouldn't want to come in now that I have my Chow patrolling. I know it's so frustrating when you do the right thing.
Michelle
Poor kitty.
Jess
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

aware wrote:We have a similar problem going on in our neighborhood at the moment, and with Julie still not comfortable with any dog other than a chow, I want to talk to the people. But how does one go about saying, "You are an idiot to let your dog out the front door to roam around the neighborhood jumping at other dogs and people. Stop letting your dog run free!" without pissing your neighbor off?

Thats weird and freaky, murphy has a simular problem, though he isn't breed specific he has no fear of larger dog breeds but is scared to death of small dogs. I figure it's because everyone I know has large dogs and he's used to them with the exception of one sister who has a chihuahua and she's the only one who's ever snapped at him.

I have to be extra careful when I take him walking because he'll just go right up to any larger dog like they are best friends. It's difficult because I don't want him to be fearful but on the other hand I don't want him to be extra trusting either.

My dog haylee I raised from 4 weeks to 13.5 years till I lost her in september, she hated everyone except for about 5 people, me, 3 of my sisters and one friend she knew from puppyhood. She especially couldn't stand kids, other dogs or men. In her 13 yrs she never bit anyone because I knew her so well and I took precautions. I still took her to public places but she never went anywhere without being muzzled, she got to where she looked at her muzzle like she did her leash, she knew if I got it down she was going bye-bye and she got excited.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Yes neighbours, the joy. NOT! Just think of how they are with children if they can't handle a dog! For those of you not willing to say something - stop! You're making it worse by not speaking up.

We never cross the street. We are polite and in control. To be honest if a dog charges we wait to the last moment then give ours free reign as it's the only way for them to defend themselves. It's only happened a couple times, the charging dogs no longer do so, in fact they all have become good friends to ours. A key thing to remember is that when someone is holding their dog back they are communicating fear and tension and the dog feels it must act. Letting the leash loose at meetings is good therapy. Yes this is scarry but it is animal socializing afterall. You should not rear walking in your neighbourhoid, or walking your dog or child in said location. If you do, something needs to be done.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Yep i hate it. When ever I see any other big dog walking toward us I just grab yogi and walk the other way. I dont want to deal with a fight u know.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I usually try to just walk through the neighborhood to get to the road our neighborhood is off of, but since it's a dirt road I don't always wanna go up there, especially when it rains. :?
Jess