adopted from a show and breeding kennel

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

buckskinmustang
Rank 0
Rank 0

adopted from a show and breeding kennel

Post by buckskinmustang »

I adopted a 3 yr old femal chow chow Sunday from a breeder.She ate Sunday night,but hasn't eaten since.She is obviously traumatized.She just underwent a c-section and was weaned from the surviving pups.Any suggestions on how to make her transacion easier?Has anyone encountered this problem before?Also she was kept with her mom before adoption and was obviously qute attached.I feel so bad for her-she is obviously having a rough time and I just want to give a good,loving forever home!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: adopted from a show and breeding kennel

Post by CoraP. »

I imagine the poor girl is missing her family and all she's been used to. I think patience would probably be the best bet. In time she'll come around. Don't try to force her, just let her call the shots. Molly came from a rescue and was upset when the rescue lady left her here. She looked around for her and then would lay down in the kitchen all by herself. She gradually got more interested in us and what we were doing. I mostly left her alone, but would go and see her and pet and talk to her for awhile, then leave her alone. Since your girl just had a c-section, I'd make sure she is healthy (no infection, etc) and then just let her do things in her own time. What color is she, have you given her a name? I'd love to see pictures of her!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
buckskinmustang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank-you for your response.Molly is beautiful!All my chows have been black-Sophie is red.That's what she was named and I'm keeping it-I never change my rescue dogs names-they are confused enough!I have been doing as you described-was hoping I was doing the right thing.I wish she would eat though!She has the food she was eating,and I leave her alone in a room with it-but nothing.I guess when she gets hungry enough.I feel so bad for her-she hasn't a clue of what has happened to her,she does watch everything I do,just like you said.I tried to upload a picture but it was rejected-have to work on that.Thanks again .
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sure Sophie will start eating soon. Molly was already named too, and we didn't change it even though our first lab-airedale mix was named Molly. Sophie is a cute name. Poor girl has been through a lot and will take some time to adjust. Keep us posted!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Congrats on your new addition.. Is she at least drinking water? My chow will go for a day or so when shes been shuffled around with sitters ... She will not eat unless she knows Iam home for the night . Her food sits all day from 6:30 am until she feels we will be home to let her out to go potty.. Shes very funny that way. .I know this must concern you, but maybe a little shredded cheese on top just to get her interested if she doesn't seem to eat soon.. (my sitter has to do that to Nikki's food for the 1st day shes staying with her).
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Poor Sophie - like CoraP says - she will just need time. Lots of time, lots of patience and lots of love.
Congratulations - I bet she will turn out to be a saucy chow wench.
Mia
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

My sister's chow will often not eat all day if she's left by herself. And so when we'd get home we'd put the food in the living room with us and after we had all settled in she would only just start to eat. Every chow is different with wanting to be left alone or needing company.

You can also try mixing in some plain yogurt, it'll be enough to make it different and tastier but not too much it might cause a stomach upset.

And I definitely second what everyone else has been saying about patience. Although, I'm not always as patient as I should be. We're in the process of shuffling our chow around (we're moving) and the stress of it in the past 2 or so days has been too much for her. She's barely been eating, just maybe a cup a day. She's otherwise acting normal so we aren't too alarmed yet, but the whole point of me saying that is: "it's easy to get worried over their eating habits, but as long as her health is good, she'll eat when she's ready."

And congrats on your new chow!!
buckskinmustang
Rank 0
Rank 0

I have good news!Sophie now wags her tail when I enter the room,wants to come to the door,when I come home but is still shy and backs off-BUT-she ate out of her bowl by herself tonight!She had been taking alittle bit now and then if I hand fed her-especially the chicken!but tonight I put the bowl in front of her as usual and she ate a good portion on her own before I hand fed her more.I think she's coming around!Still terrified of going outside-she'll go for a walk ok-but to let her out in the yard!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Sadly, it is probably a new experience. She may only know about cemented runs. Try and establish a routine where you go out with her on a leash. Coax her about the yard with some wonderful treats, and if it is fenced, unleash her, but do not walk away. If she runs for the door, slowly go there, but sit down outside and continue to offer treats. Before long, she will be excited to do the routine. Eventually, you can segue into taking her for short walks outside of the yard.
GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GoHokiesGo »

We had a similar situation with Honey. Our breeder decided to retire her from breeding since she had a hard time with the c-sections and puppies, so we got her at 4.5 years old. The first few days she was pretty stand off-sish and didn't eat much for the first week or two. Once she got used to us and her new home, she settled in more. She still is pretty aloof and keeps to herself even when we're home - if we're lucky she'll sit across from us in the family room at night, but she usually just loves to sleep at the steps in our foyer watching the door.

Recovering from the c-section is probably tough enough for her, but a new home at the same time is a lot for her to take in at once. Give her a few weeks with you and she should warm right up \:D/
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad to hear Sophie is coming around. It's always so exciting to see their tails start to wag when we come home! This is good news!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand