self harming

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

brianw
Rank 0
Rank 0

self harming

Post by brianw »

have had chows for the past 40 years but have just taken on (april) a rescue bitch, she has a habbit of biting herself on her back near her tail, at first we thought it was stress but it has not gone away even though she is now settled in, we then tried taking her off red meats, thought we had found the answear but all of a sudden shes at it again, weve had her to the vet but too no avail, if anyone out there can shine any light on this it would be appreciated
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: self harming

Post by Mia »

Maybe her skin is bothering her. She might have allergies. I would try a really organic food like Natural Balance, Solid Gold or Evo. That will eliminate corn, gluetens and other things that may cause skin issues. Maybe give her a good washing with a natural shampoo and rinse REALLY, REALLY well.
If all that doesn't work, maybe some sort of natural calming supplement. (Kind of like a anti-depressant or calming type supplement).
Mia
brianw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by brianw »

thanx mia, i posted my question before i had read the boards, milos "bald chow" seems to fit my problem, also im located in the u.k. and wondered if my "chrissy" could be related too any of the other u.k. chows with this problem, reading all the postings under bald chow i can identify with several of them and will try some of the " remidies" posted
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

How old is she?
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
marline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marline »

Please do not give cortisone, my chow was on cortisone for itchiness, and developed liver cancer. The spesialists recomended allergics (for humans) wich helps a little. I also bath her with Tea Tree oil shampoo, and rinse very well. She still itches, but not as bad.
ImageImageImage
brianw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by brianw »

shes an 8 year old rescue, we got her april vet checked her over and gave her a clean bill of health, shes settled in nicely.