Yoshi is limping

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Yoshi is limping

Post by Dogdad »

Hi everyone,

Yoshi started limping yesterday on his right rear side, he is walking but will walk on 3 legs, he isn't interested in walkies, I gave him a baby aspirin before bed and one today before I left. When I got home, he seemed to also have a sore right front leg, I will call the vet asap tomorrow, He is around 6 years old

Any ideas, I am thinking dyslacia or stroke.

thanks

David
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Yoshi is limping

Post by Dogdad »

omg, I am such a bad parent. I was spending time with the Yoshi monster and found a cut on his inner leg, about 1 inch long. I think I did it when I was trimming hair balls off his tummy, Could the discomfort cause the limping? I made a vet appointment for tomorrow afternoon, I hope that is all it is. I have an extra clamovox that I had left over from Aldo for his cut, so I will give it to him tonight

David
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[-o| Let's pray that is the only cause for Yoshi limping...just curious - how is Maxine reacting to Yoshi not feeling well?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxine is in her own little world, she looked at Yoshi but nothing else, she is too busy playing, I think it is an infection, he is limping more, I am glad we have the appointment for today
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I hope Yoshi will feel better soon [:D] .
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Aw..poor Yoshi!
Your not bad, that can happen and you don't even see it. Hard to see stuff in all their fur.

Does the cut look infected? If it's still open and not scabbed, you may want to put some peroxide on so that it fights infection on the outside. If it's already infected on the inside, the vet will probably clean it and give him some antibiotics.
Mia
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Poor Yoshi boy. I hope he lets the vet do what ever is needed to clean it up. Keep us posted.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am afraid it is pretty infected, this morning he would barely walk he was in so much pain. I am worried how the vet will handle him, Yoshi bit me when I tried to pick him up. fingers crossed
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Poor thing! Hope the vet visit would make him better. Do keep us posted.

Leonora & mum [:D]
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

So sorry to hear about Yoshi. Good luck at the vet and after they pump him full of drugs he will be fine \:D/

Just glad its only a infection rather then anything more serious !! Last week I was so worried when I heard abot ED and other prone Chow issues !!! At least you know the cut will heal with the correct treatment !!
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

The Yoshi monster is back and lived up to his name, He happily went in the car without a limp and then went to the vet with out limping, Once he gt on the table he growled bared his teeth, the whole bit. They shaved his tummy to find the cut and there was nothing, the vet checked his joints and they seemed fine. His temp was a bit high and the vet ran a blood test. Yoshi has Lymes and that has caused his joints to swell up. He was vaccinated this spring but the vet said this is the third case this year of dogs getting lymes even though they were vaccinated. We have a lot of deer and wood ticks here. Yoshi is now on 3 different types of antibiotics, Hopefully that will take care of the problem. I am just so relieved it isn't dysplacia. thanks for all your concern

David
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Poor baby! Well, knowing what it is is a good thing. Hope the meds would kick-in to ease his pain. Take care...that goes for both of you. :P

Leonora & mum
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Poor Yoshi, this lymes stuff is getting on my last nerve. There is so much of it here where I live, everyone in my family has been tested for it. I can't imagine how Yoshi feels if it effects humans the way it does.
I feel your pain Yoshi.. rest up and hope you feel better soon..
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Poor Yoshi! I'm so glad you found out what was wrong though.

On the Lymes vaccine, it's not a good one as it tends to only protect 1/3 of all dogs it's given to & has a high rate of complications / adverse reactions. It also tend to give a false sense of security that it can't be lyme disease.
Thank you Elodie!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Found the link about the vaccines (inc Lyme) for you. http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/8413.html
Thank you Elodie!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

interesting article, Apparently the lymes vaccine is very short lived since Yoshi was vaccinated in April. This morning he is up and almost limp free, He seems much more frisky so hopefully after todays medicine, he will feel up for walkies. It is strange only walking Maxine.

David
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

\:D/ \:D/ Glad to hear Yoshi is limp free! Hope he continues to improve!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh