Suprised!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RebeccaMarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Suprised!

Post by RebeccaMarie »

We just got my second chow chow shes a total handful! She's 7 weeks old and we got her from some people who lived 8 hours from us so we put her in a crate off and on during the trip. The person we got her from said that she had never been outside so we stoped at rest stops here and there and every time she got out and went to the bathroom she even slept threw the first night at are house until 6am and then cried at the door to go outside and do her business im a little amazed I know chows are smart but we haven't told her one time that its where she goes.. Anyway just sharing as we go threw the journey of puppy hood hope everyones well.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Suprised!

Post by chowpups »

I am amazed at chows too and how fast they learn. I at first thought we had a super smart pup when our 1st chow was so easily housebroken.. the girl at the shelter said the pup never went in the crate always waited till she went in the grass area. (I thought yeah right) she was 11 wks when we got her .. Then our next chow at 9wks came crate trained too.. We were like this is just too easy.. but it seems that this is something that comes more natural to them then our other dogs. We had labs and shepherds and they took alot longer to train.
Oh, and I do think they are super smart anyway..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

What a clever girl Gracie is. Chow puppies are a joy to house train. Bramble only ever had one accident in the house and that was much older (about 10 months) I think she just forgot what she was doing. It was only a couple of months ago. Afterwards she was so embarrased she kept looking at me as if I had just gone in the corner of the room. :shock: Was your other chow as easy to train. Though I feel bad to say you house train a chow there was no training in our house just a lot of door opening! :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I too was amazed at my puppy being already house trained! She hasn't made one mistake and most of the time I just have her baby gated, not in a crate, expect for nighttime.

I am curious - at 10 weeks how long can you leave them crated at night? At most I've been leaving her 3 1/2 hours which is already longer then they say a puppy can hold it at that age, but of course I'm exhausted after a week of not sleeping over 3 1/2 hours at once.

Any suggestions on this??
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

ooops... double post. I don't mean just crated, but how long can a puppy 10 weeks go without being taken outside? Thanks!
Last edited by Penelope on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebeccaMarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RebeccaMarie »

Thank you guys for all the comments it's greatly appreciated.. Gracie is doing very well its her 3rd day home she's completely potty trained.. The only issues we have had is chewing shes definitely a chewer we got some teething toys and bones for puppys and she loves them but shes still attracted to the carpet. We also have a room where the kitty goes potty and eats and she got a taste of kitty food so she was super excited then, I expect some naughtiness from puppies there still growing. As for being crate trained im not really sure we don't crate train are dogs plus my step dad wakes up at 3 am to go to work so he takes her outside Gracie has been sleeping nights to my surprise! well just a quick update and saying hello to the other chows on the forum!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Okay, I don't want to mislead anyone . I got up at night an took our pups out when they were young. But it wasn't for long that we had to do it before they were sleeping through the night. They only got crated for bed time. During the day they were out all day with me. But we never had accidents and never messed in their crates.. They would whimper to go out at night if we fell asleep.
And yes they went out alot.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Welcome RebeccaMarie! Gracie is really cute!
how long can a puppy 10 weeks go without being taken outside?
I never used a crate with Coco. When she was a baby, she slept on a blanket close to my bed. I got her at 8 weeks and she never had an accident during the night (and I never woke up in the middle of the night to take her out). We had our last walk just before bed time, and the first walk, first thing in the morning. We still do that today :D .
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

Tsunami never had an accident in the house! at 8 weeks she was potty trained and boy were we thankful!

Penelope has been really easy to train as well, although she has had her accidents. the first 5 days we had her she didn't have one accident it were the days that followed where she had them!

Chow puppies are seemingly THE BEST for potty training!

and in regards to how long a pup can hold it, all the puppy books I read said about 2 or 3 hrs, depending on their activity level and the last time they ate or drank.

If you're able to just be with her and attentive, I'd just suggest watchign body language as well instead of just timing.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I couldn't keep an animals in our bedroom due to my husbands asthma.. the dr said we could have a dog but not in the sleeping areas. And couches and chairs had to be leather so as not to hold the dander.So crating was our only option. I do know that Nikki and Oneill both liked their crates and Nikki still wanders in when ever she feels like it. (it sits open in our laundry room) and can also find my grandson playing in it .. its quite large. Like I said I did get up if and when they stirred or whimpered that was their signal to me. but I do not think it was long before they slept the night (I know Oneill slept the night but she was a shelter dog and only knew a crate and Nikki the breeder helped housetrain and she crated them before they came to you).. the vet told us to pick up water after 7pm and if they played hard or seemed thirsty (use your judgement) put it back down for them to get a drink, but don't let them have it available in their crates or sleeping area all night as puppies. If you feel thats too cruel just leave enough for them to have a little sip if they need it during the night. I never did but some might want to .
Nikki has free range now during the night and never comes up stairs shes very content with the other 2 floors she can wander around on. And hubby can sleep with out having to use his inhalers. Alls happy so it works for us..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I crate trained Bramble when I got her as she arrived as a "free range pup" her breeder said. The first night she insisted on sleeping on the kitchen floor and the second, by the third she had learnt about her crate and thought it was a great place. I never once had to get up to let Bramble out at night. She slept and always has from night no one from ten till seven am. Now she will sleep longer than that if I lie in. She must have a phenominal bladder because I never picked up her water. Beacause I dont let her upstairs she doesn't like to come up being a creature of habit. I was brought up to have animals downstairs at night and I honestly think for me I sleep better and probably they do as well. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Sirchow - you have a point there.
Mine sleep in the bedroom - half on the tile floor of the bathroom and half into the bedroom. And they snore like the dickens. I am finally getting used to all their grunts and snorts. LOL. Even my hubby didn't snore like that! LOL!
The huffing and puffing, snorting and grunting, chuffing and chawing - I can't even begin to describe some of the noises that come out them. It's like a regular symphony - unfortunately, they don't keep a beat going.
Mia
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I love to hear Coco snoring, I found it very relaxing and it actually helps me sleep!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/