Food

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LEO
Rank 0
Rank 0

Food

Post by LEO »

What do you feed your chow chow on and why ??
I started off ice on what the breeder told me but it seem its not that great ,
Am open to new ideas ,Thanks
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Food

Post by chowhuskylass »

my girl moved from james wellbeloved to supa dog sensitive for the lower meat protein content as too much protein sets her skin off, this is also a hypoallergenic diet. :D

I do tend to n believe if its not broken do not fix it, other than its not great, why do you want to change diet? what you feeding now? what makes it not great?

all information we share will only help others :D
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

You could try looking here http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Chow-tastic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow-tastic »

I feed Pepper 2 bowls of James Welbeloved kibble a day; 1 in the morning and 1 at night. She doesn't always finish each bowl as I think she's a little naughty and waits for a fresh bowl after a certain time.

I mix a combination of different kibbles in her bowl, as I always worry she'll get bored of the one flavour. The kibble is slightly moist as I add some luke warm water and stir in 1 squirt of salmon oil, then half a sachet of James Welbeloved meat (she gets the 2nd half in her bowl in the evning).

Once a week I give her a treat of either a chicken drum stick, a tin of tuna or some roast beef if we've had Sunday roast. Other than that she doesn't get too many treats, and in fairness to her she's not one for wanting lots of biscuits. I also give her the occasional bone when I've been to the Butchers. :D
LEO
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LEO »

We feed ICE Royal Canin Junior twice a day, in the morning we add a little cheese or dog meat to to give him a bit of variety. In between he has just a few gravy bone biscuits and 1 dry tripe stick as a treat (he loves them). Only problem is that his poo is very soft and not well formed.

Thanks for your advice.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I've been feeding mine Wellness dog food (the fish based formula). I try to get the best quality food I can after reading a lot of articles about what is really in the grocery store brands!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

I feed mine the Wellness brand food too, both dry and wet and the snacks in their line.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Teddy eats Solid Gold Wolfking kibble with a little shredded cheese and lukewarm water.

Cinder eats Avoderm Lamb and Rice canned. (She is no longer able to digest or chew kibble).

Both get Salmon oil and Glucosamine supplements. For treats they either get homemade biscuits, Buddy Biscuits (only the varieties without wheat and corn), Limited Ingredient biscuits, sardines, a small piece of cheese or a little peanut butter.

(They are not spoiled, are they?)
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

After a little back and forth I found Canidae ALS (All Life Stages). I like it because Nellie loves it, the food also gives her coat a great shine. It is on the expensive side ( $50.00 for a 44lbs bag) but when you break it down it is really not that expensive (I have to buy it about every 3 months). I did have her on Canidae Grain Free first and switched her very easily over to the regular grained food.

There are lots of opinions about food but I hope this helps!!
MontanaXman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MontanaXman »

Jake eats Evangers - both dry and wet. He seems to do well and likes the variety.
MontanaXman
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Food is a very common topic....check out this forum http://forum.chowchow.org/viewforum.php?f=30

Besides giving my two a combo of grain free Happy Dog Food and the raw Green Tripe (www.greentripe.com), I give them the Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken kibble. Previously, I gave the Wellness Core....both are great - I just thought I'd give them a switch in the kibble. Sometimes I will switch out the green tripe for baked chicken but always add the Omega-3 to whatever I'm feeding them. No hot spots with this diet so far.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Started him on Innova and just switched Yogi to Wellness
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

Penelope started off on the Royal canin large breed puppy food. But the smell was too pungent for me and I read that for the price it wasn't that high quality of a food. (my vet suggested, for better joint growth to switch to the lower growth hormone packed large breed puppy foods).

I tried the Solid Gold WolfCub but it didn't agree with penelope at all. She didn't seem to like the taste and when she would finally get around to eating, she'd throw up at least once a day. My vet said that some foods, while being higher quality and realy great for some dogs, just didn't sit well with others.

For the past 3 or 4 mos. Penelope's been on Buffalo brand large breed puppy food. It's a compromise between her tastes and nutritional needs and my budget. It's about 35 dollars for a month's supply. I also mix in a tiny bit of cream cheese or cottage cheese to make it stick in her kong better (I give about a quarter and will be switching after her surgery recovery to half of her food in kongs and kong like toys).

I also feed her Authority hip and joint strength supplement treats. that have... I'm going to spell it wrong: glucosamine and chondritin.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I've had Penny on Science Diet Puppy Large Breed which I've been mixing with Purina to change her off that. I had already bought a bag, and when I went to the vet they were giving out sample bags of the same food. She seems to eat less then the weight chart on the bad would indicate, but she seems to like it and her poo seems good. I think I'll look into wellness as it seems quite popular, although I'll probably mix them together for a while since I misjudged what her eating would be and bought a really large bag!